Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

1st Mod - Remote Radar Detector Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:55 PM
1st Gear
Default 1st Mod - Remote Radar Detector Install

Got my car on Tuesday and I'm lovin' it. I took out my remote radar (Bel LR Remote - great radar detector) from my previous car and put it in the card drawer next to the hazard warning switch (pics below). The radar receiver is in the grill, front lasar sensor is behind the rearview mirror and rear lasar sensor is on the side of the package shelf in back. I'm very impressed on how this car is put together. It is very well thought out and engineered. I'm pleased on how it turned out, but would like to match the dash color better. Anyone know what paint works best?

[IMG]local://upfiles/22649/ED8E119D8ACB41DFB3B4BD376FDC185D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22649/CD859C7D811A498FA7E69D8EC764DB9E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22649/8BD32D4E39C74F8B9C03069A62F8B871.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Default RE: 1st Mod - Remote Radar Detector Install

Looks good man...How does this detector stack up against the passport?

Old 09-17-2006, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

I've not had a passport for the last 20 years, but internet radar comparisons show very good comparisons. I've been extremely pleased with this unit and it's saved my butt countless times. My desire for this was to be remote so to not hang from my sun visor, since my last radar detector was easily visible and was stolen by smashing the driver's window. My other car, an '01 Miata, has the Whistler remote and the Bel is a much better unit than the Whistler. Again, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:25 AM
1st Gear

How hard is hooking up all the remotes to the unit? Any additional information on your install would be very helpful...I've been looking at them on ebay and reading good reviews on this one. I haven't had a radar detector in years, but I'm thinking they are becoming more necessary these days.

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2006, 06:28 AM
SoCal Crew Member

now all you need is a Chip, CAI, Exhaust, RSB, and a Stiffy Tranny Mount, and you'll be the happiest guy on earth!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2006, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: lilmonkey

How hard is hooking up all the remotes to the unit? Any additional information on your install would be very helpful...I've been looking at them on ebay and reading good reviews on this one. I haven't had a radar detector in years, but I'm thinking they are becoming more necessary these days.

Thanks!
It wasn't very difficult. I ran the radar receiver wire through the firewall where the clutch access is (I have the DSG so it is a blank). The lasar receivers were not difficult either. I velcroed the front receiver behind the rearview mirror and ran the cord along the headliner and down the driver's side A pillar. The rear receiver is velcroed on the side of the parcel shelf, where it has a view out the back window but doesn't interfere with the parcel shelf movement. It's wire was run along the bottom of the doors to the dash. I don't think the lasar receivers help any, unless you just get lucky because by the time they detect a beam, he's got you. So you could probably not install them if you didn't want to. This is the fourth car that I've gone to the trouble of installing it (4 installs and 3 uninstalls), so I really like the detector and highly recommend it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22649/A048EB4D33B74D89BC001AE15244A546.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22649/6372521012B3453B97A6F552482FC871.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22649/9E53FDBC2F6B4C269A314887E346855F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-23-2006, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Audinam

now all you need is a Chip, CAI, Exhaust, RSB, and a Stiffy Tranny Mount, and you'll be the happiest guy on earth!!!!!!!!
I'm getting there. I probably won't mess with the exhaust because I don't want it getting louder or obnoxious. I'm always on the lookout for ideas.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:39 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: BearTrap

I'm getting there. I probably won't mess with the exhaust because I don't want it getting louder or obnoxious. I'm always on the lookout for ideas.

i agree with you reguarding being loud, i don't mind it, it's just that once you have exhaust, every car you come up to wants to race you.......... that's why i'm moding everything else first before my exhaust, exhaust will be my last performance mod......... as of now, i'm working on getting CAI, bigger/stickier tires, engine and tranny mounts, then last, i'll put on the exhaust. that way, if anyone wants to race me, i'm ready for it........ as of now, i'm cruising.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

I ordered the Bel unit today. Should be here by the weekend. Can't wait...

Where did you pull power from on your install?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: lilmonkey

I ordered the Bel unit today. Should be here by the weekend. Can't wait...

Where did you pull power from on your install?

Thanks!
I ran a wire to the fuse box, found an empty fuse slot that had one side hot when the ignition was on, put a fuse in with the radar hot wire on the cold side of the fuse. I'm sure you could tap into something closer, but I didn't want to tap a wire and have the wire accidently cut (not that I've done that before, somethings you learn the hard way).

Quick Reply: 1st Mod - Remote Radar Detector Install