AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   2.0T + chip + dsg = problems? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/2-0t-chip-dsg-%3D-problems-33557/)

jackmott 06-07-2006 01:22 PM

2.0T + chip + dsg = problems?

I've read some articles expressing concern over the torque limits of the DSG tranny. Anyone here have a chipped and/or modified DSG car? How much power/torque can you add before things become problematic?

APR says they can go as far as intake+exauhst+chip with no problems, but I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Chef 06-07-2006 02:50 PM

RE: 2.0T + chip + dsg = problems?

Hmmm, I've been in on several discussion on this subject. The biggest debate for me started with the VW TDI's and if the DSG could handle the torque when their engines were modified due to the extreme torque generated from the diesels. I recently had a discussion with Eurocode tuning and they told me that the transmission is identical between the manual and DSG and the dual clutch surfaces SHOULD have the same clamping power as the manual. If that is true, then there is no need to worry. I only wonder then if any internals which stage the shifts in the DSG gear box might suffer??? I know of several new VW TDI's that are modified with DSG and they haven't experienced the problems anticipated and their guidelines were to stay within 300lbs or torque, which for our cars, would be a chip & exhaust. I think you may need to do more research if you intend on doing the big turbo program, but I'd now feel comfortable with a chip and exhaust if I had the DSG in my A3.

Remember, advice and opinions are like.........

Just be comfortable with your decision. If you're worried, I would go with the Revo chip and buy the SPSIII device which allows you to controll the level of boost, fuel, air, etc. That way you could detune the engine if you felt any problems with maximum power.

If you do both mods, your car will be a VERY fast rocket with that DSG tranny.

Cheers!

Chef

jackmott 06-07-2006 03:16 PM

intake/chip/exuahst would be all I want to do. Sounds like that should be no problem if chipped diesels are holding out.

excellent =)

A3Night 06-07-2006 04:11 PM

Do it and dont worry about it. The possabillity of problems always exists chipped or not. But when you go chipped, you'll never want to go back. As jackmott said, intake/chip/exhaust is all I would do as well in terms of engine perf. Right now I have the APR chip installed with exhaust waiting in the garage that will go on once I get a jack and jack stands. I'm also looking for a good intake that comes with some aftermarket engine cover.

I dont gun my car all the time. I just live for the acceleration from 10mph - 140mph.

Anyone knows what our cars will top out at with a chip? There seems to be plenty enough power at 140 to take it to at least 155+

Audinam 06-07-2006 05:34 PM

when you get it chipped, does that mean it automatically takes the govenor off too? i haven't tested it yet, haven't found one safe open rd in san diego yet.

A3Night 06-07-2006 06:01 PM

Yes it does. I did a few runs on the Tollway 241 at night (the tustin/irvine stretch). its so easy to get to 130 (without a chip it struggles to get there) and has so much more left.... the only problem is I hit the toll booth and have to pop in the change. If I had fasttrack... :D

Chef 06-08-2006 02:43 AM

REVO releases the governor too, and I was told that it would hit 160mph or so. Scared to go above 130mph due to tickets and Y-rated tires. Might go for some 245 wide Z-rated on the replacement set.

Chef

Audinam 06-08-2006 05:48 AM

would 245's fit on the the 17" stock rims? what's the widest tire you can get on the stock 17" rims?

Chef 06-08-2006 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Audinam

would 245's fit on the the 17" stock rims? what's the widest tire you can get on the stock 17" rims?
That's a great question and one that I'm looking for answer to as well. I was just taking my time since the rubber on the Pirellis is still in good shape. Let me know if you find the answer first.

Cheers!

Chef

Audinam 06-08-2006 04:04 PM

i went to the dicount tire co. website to check out tire sizes, i found that you can fit up to 255's on a 17" rim, but it didn't tell me what the width of the 17" rims were, then i looked under the A3 2.0T search under the same site, the widest the offer for the A3 ar 235's, but maybe i should just go talk to the guys at the shops.

Audinam 06-08-2006 06:34 PM

ok, i got it,

i talked to the guys at the tire co, 245's would fit on the stock 17" rims, and he said the looks might be different, but he said that 245/40 would definately fit on the rims.

Chef 06-08-2006 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Audinam

ok, i got it,

i talked to the guys at the tire co, 245's would fit on the stock 17" rims, and he said the looks might be different, but he said that 245/40 would definately fit on the rims.
That was the exact size I was hoping to put on the car next. I like my rims too much to change it all out.

Thanks for doing the research. Do you know how much the tire difference, if any, will have on the speedo readout. I guess I can go to tirerack.com and look it up myself. Man, this site will make you lazy sometimes. Thanks for all of the foot work.

Cheers!

Chef

hesaputz 06-08-2006 07:49 PM

Might do some good to talk to Tire Rack, Hartmann, or another tire/wheel expert about the sizing issue. My take so far is that 235/45 is about the biggest you'd want to put on those 17 x 7.5 wheels. Tire Rack has spec charts with the tire listing that note the nominal, minimum, and maximum wheel widths recommended for a particular tire size. As a general rule, we've found that nominal to max width rims give best perfromance on our 911's; getting too far from vertical on the sidewall comprimises performance, ride, and durability

jackmott 06-08-2006 09:03 PM

225/235s are the ideal width on a 7.5" wide wheel. You can fit 245s on them and it will work, but you may be sacrificing performance by doing so by distorting the tires shape.

Audinam 06-09-2006 06:33 AM

i agree with jackmott and hesaputz, you do sacrafice performance by going 245's, and they told me with the 245's, you'll actually be running at 65mph when the meter says 68mph,

but with 280lbs of torque, do you think 235's will help stick it to the ground?

hesaputz 06-09-2006 01:50 PM

It's another 1/3 - 1/2 " of rubber on the ground, and every bit helps. 235's are generally also about 1/3" taller, so they should up your speed about 1% above the speedo reading. Several manufacturers make a 235/40 - 17 that is fatter and shorter, but I don't have experience fitting or running these.

jackmott 06-09-2006 05:50 PM

you will get WAY more benefit from having a nice soft tire compound in your current size than just going bigger with a similar tire compound.

Try some *good* 225s before adding weight and such with larger tires.

Chef 06-10-2006 02:53 AM

Okay on the good tires. I'm currently running Pirelli Rosso 225 45 17 which I would consider to be most excellent tires. Not sure what your point was in getting good rubber? These cars chipped need MORE quality rubber, which means increasing the amount of tread on the ground to help move the car with the added power.

Wondering what the increased percentage of contact surface is with each change of size? Maybe I can do some research to help this thread as well.

Chef

Audinam 06-10-2006 06:03 AM

the guy i talked to says if you go 245/40's, it'll be about 1.25 inches extra in width on EACH tire, that's and extra 5 inches in width of contact, not considering the contact in length of the new tires.

chef, how bout you take one for the team and get the 245's for your 17's, then i'll go get my 18x9" rims with my 265's or even 275's. hee hee.

hesaputz 06-10-2006 05:49 PM

The guy you talked to is full of it. Look up tire spec charts at Tire rack, and look at actual tread width. Varies by brand, but it will be about half that or less over a 235.

Audinam 06-11-2006 06:44 AM

yeah, that was what i was thinking and i looked it up, with the stock rims, the biggest it'll get are 235's. besides, i have no intention on getting bigger tires for the current rims, i DO plan on getting bigger fatter rims once my current tires wear out.

jackmott 06-13-2006 08:06 PM

I'm just letting you know what I have learned from years of national level competitive autocrossing experience.

Pirelli tires have a good name, but they aren't winning street tire class autocrosses either. Some tires to consider that might provide more grip: Michelin PS/2, BFG KD or KDW (the KDW is a bit more sane for street use) Kumho MX, and Falken Azenis (this one also not entirely sane for street use). The Michelin would be your best bet if comfort and noise are important to you as well as grip.

A slightly better tire compound will give you far more benefit than just a wider tire of the same type. Often times getting huge tires will give you a false sense of solving the traction problem, since the heavier tire and wheel is just harder for your engine to break loose now. You haven't really gained as much grip as you think.

That said, on a 3300lbs car with 260hp, 245s all around is perfectly reasonable. If I was trying to win an autocross Id even chop the fenders and put 285s all around, but for street use you may find though that 225s work fine too with a really sticky tire. Big tires have the downside of weight, and I assume the goal is mostly to be able to punch it in 1st and 2nd gear and not spin the tires like mad?

Some things to consider: stiffer engine mounts often work wonders on FWD cars grip off the line and preventing wheel hop. Lower suspension (and to a lesser extent, stiffer) will reduce weight transfer and give the front tires more weight to work with. An LSD will help utilize both front tires better as well.

ORIGINAL: Chef

Okay on the good tires. I'm currently running Pirelli Rosso 225 45 17 which I would consider to be most excellent tires. Not sure what your point was in getting good rubber? These cars chipped need MORE quality rubber, which means increasing the amount of tread on the ground to help move the car with the added power.

Wondering what the increased percentage of contact surface is with each change of size? Maybe I can do some research to help this thread as well.

Chef