Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2.0T + chip + dsg = problems?

Old 06-07-2006, 01:22 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0T + chip + dsg = problems?

I've read some articles expressing concern over the torque limits of the DSG tranny. Anyone here have a chipped and/or modified DSG car? How much power/torque can you add before things become problematic?

APR says they can go as far as intake+exauhst+chip with no problems, but I just wanted to get a second opinion.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Default RE: 2.0T + chip + dsg = problems?

Hmmm, I've been in on several discussion on this subject. The biggest debate for me started with the VW TDI's and if the DSG could handle the torque when their engines were modified due to the extreme torque generated from the diesels. I recently had a discussion with Eurocode tuning and they told me that the transmission is identical between the manual and DSG and the dual clutch surfaces SHOULD have the same clamping power as the manual. If that is true, then there is no need to worry. I only wonder then if any internals which stage the shifts in the DSG gear box might suffer??? I know of several new VW TDI's that are modified with DSG and they haven't experienced the problems anticipated and their guidelines were to stay within 300lbs or torque, which for our cars, would be a chip & exhaust. I think you may need to do more research if you intend on doing the big turbo program, but I'd now feel comfortable with a chip and exhaust if I had the DSG in my A3.

Remember, advice and opinions are like.........

Just be comfortable with your decision. If you're worried, I would go with the Revo chip and buy the SPSIII device which allows you to controll the level of boost, fuel, air, etc. That way you could detune the engine if you felt any problems with maximum power.

If you do both mods, your car will be a VERY fast rocket with that DSG tranny.

Cheers!

Chef

Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

intake/chip/exuahst would be all I want to do. Sounds like that should be no problem if chipped diesels are holding out.

excellent =)

Old 06-07-2006, 04:11 PM
2nd Gear

Do it and dont worry about it. The possabillity of problems always exists chipped or not. But when you go chipped, you'll never want to go back. As jackmott said, intake/chip/exhaust is all I would do as well in terms of engine perf. Right now I have the APR chip installed with exhaust waiting in the garage that will go on once I get a jack and jack stands. I'm also looking for a good intake that comes with some aftermarket engine cover.

I dont gun my car all the time. I just live for the acceleration from 10mph - 140mph.

Anyone knows what our cars will top out at with a chip? There seems to be plenty enough power at 140 to take it to at least 155+

Old 06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
SoCal Crew Member

when you get it chipped, does that mean it automatically takes the govenor off too? i haven't tested it yet, haven't found one safe open rd in san diego yet.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear

Yes it does. I did a few runs on the Tollway 241 at night (the tustin/irvine stretch). its so easy to get to 130 (without a chip it struggles to get there) and has so much more left.... the only problem is I hit the toll booth and have to pop in the change. If I had fasttrack...

Old 06-08-2006, 02:43 AM

REVO releases the governor too, and I was told that it would hit 160mph or so. Scared to go above 130mph due to tickets and Y-rated tires. Might go for some 245 wide Z-rated on the replacement set.

Chef

Old 06-08-2006, 05:48 AM
SoCal Crew Member

would 245's fit on the the 17" stock rims? what's the widest tire you can get on the stock 17" rims?

Old 06-08-2006, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Audinam

would 245's fit on the the 17" stock rims? what's the widest tire you can get on the stock 17" rims?
That's a great question and one that I'm looking for answer to as well. I was just taking my time since the rubber on the Pirellis is still in good shape. Let me know if you find the answer first.

Cheers!

Chef

Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 PM
SoCal Crew Member

i went to the dicount tire co. website to check out tire sizes, i found that you can fit up to 255's on a 17" rim, but it didn't tell me what the width of the 17" rims were, then i looked under the A3 2.0T search under the same site, the widest the offer for the A3 ar 235's, but maybe i should just go talk to the guys at the shops.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.0T + chip + dsg = problems?