Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2.0t vs 3.2 driving impressions wanted with the sport(s-line) pkg.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0t vs 3.2 driving impressions wanted with the sport(s-line) pkg.

I haven’t been able to find a 2.0t with the sport pkg and DSG. I have driven the 3.2 with the sport pkg/ DSG and I loved it. I drove a “base” 2.0t without the sport upgrade and it wasn’t even close to the 3.2. I am trying to determine how much of the better handeling in the 3.2 was due to the sport suspension and how much was due to quattro. What do you guys think? Can a 2.0T with the sline pkg get close handeling-wise to the 3.2? Sense the 3.2 is so much heavier will the lighter weight of the 2.0t compensate for the lack of AWD? If a 2.0t with the sport pkg can have the same handeing feel as the 3.2 then I am sold. (although I am not too happy about the lack of a power driver’s seat in the sline 2.0t)
If anyone knows of a used 3.2 in the NY area, let me know.
Additional rambeling I drove a 3.2 and thought it was amazing. One of the funnest cars I have driven and I have owned a lot of fun cars (S4, M3, C5 vette, supercharged mustangs etc.) I am looking for a new daily driver and the A3 would be perfect. Practical yet fun as heck. I drive a 100 miles a day so I need something just like the A3, decent gas mileage, good leg room, and the fun factor put it over the top. Here is my issue on the 3.2, the price. With options like nav and xenons it closes in on $39k. I can’t justify that much for that little car (I know it is a great car etc. I just personally think that is too much for it. Not meaning to flame the car, JMHO). If it was $29k it would be sitting in my driveway right now
So I drove a 2.0t and loved the engine. I think the 2.0t engine has more character and has a higher fun factor than the 3.2, not to mention the mod factor with the 2.0t. I know myself and I will have to mod wheatever I get. So the two points keeping me from the 2.0t are the lack of a power sport seat like the 3.2 and maybe the handeling with the lack of quattro.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.0t vs 3.2 driving impressions wanted with the sport(s-line) pkg.

Man, just skip that mess and get yourself an S4

Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

I also drove both cars. I liked the 3.2 with dsg, but it seemed like you had to rev it more to get it going fast. Once going it was faster than the 2.0, but in everyday driving I don't normally rev the cars up that much.

As to the handling, I think the 2.0 with the sports package is damn close to the 3.2 with quattro. If you can sling the car around a corner hard enough to skid in every day driving you may think other wise, but basically if all 4 tires are firmly connected the quattro is not doing much more than the 2.0 will. I suppose coming out of corners hard enough you might see a difference, but I think for the price difference the 2.0 is a great choice.

Mine arrives this week. I'm in Mexico currently on a trip, but chomping at the bit to get back in Ky to get my new a3.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear

I drove both, and had an idea on what i wanted to do with the car.
If you like to mod and drive in a sport type fashion dont fool yourself with looking at the 3.2, go straight to the 2.0 T. Modding that thing is soo easy and fun.[8D]

Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear

Hi s4_fan:

ORIGINAL: s4_fan
"...One of the funnest cars I have driven and I have owned a lot of fun cars, S4, M3, C5 vette, supercharged mustangs etc..."
Judging by your S4-inspired screen name and the cool cars you've owned, my belief is you would ultimately become bored with the A3 within a few months. Based on the kind of hardware in your garage, I'm surprised the financial side of the equation give or take a few thousand dollars is having that much of an impact in the decision. I'd be inclined to think you would decide to select the vehicle that feels best to the seat of your pants. I'm kind of puzzled.

~ Blue Jays ~

Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 PM
1st Gear

I recently bought an A3 2.0T w/ DSG and S Line. I drove the quattro and liked the 2.0T better. It felt lighter, quicker. I am not saying it was, butit felt that way to me. If I had liked the 3.2 more I would have gotten it since the 2.0 is pretty loaded up while the 3.2 was not. Thus, money was not the prime motivator.

[img]{http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...s/IMG_0770.jpg[/img]

Old 05-09-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

Hi Wembley-

By definition the 3.2 is pretty loaded-up because it's an S-Line model with Quattro and DSG that also includes the Audi top-of-the-line audio system. All one can really add is navigation, Sirius, cold weather package, OpenSky, and 18" wheels.

~ Blue Jays ~

Old 05-09-2007, 04:37 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: s4_fan

I haven’t been able to find a 2.0t with the sport pkg and DSG. I have driven the 3.2 with the sport pkg/ DSG and I loved it. I drove a “base” 2.0t without the sport upgrade and it wasn’t even close to the 3.2. I am trying to determine how much of the better handeling in the 3.2 was due to the sport suspension and how much was due to quattro. What do you guys think? Can a 2.0T with the sline pkg get close handeling-wise to the 3.2? Sense the 3.2 is so much heavier will the lighter weight of the 2.0t compensate for the lack of AWD? If a 2.0t with the sport pkg can have the same handeing feel as the 3.2 then I am sold. (although I am not too happy about the lack of a power driver’s seat in the sline 2.0t)
If anyone knows of a used 3.2 in the NY area, let me know.
Additional rambeling I drove a 3.2 and thought it was amazing. One of the funnest cars I have driven and I have owned a lot of fun cars (S4, M3, C5 vette, supercharged mustangs etc.) I am looking for a new daily driver and the A3 would be perfect. Practical yet fun as heck. I drive a 100 miles a day so I need something just like the A3, decent gas mileage, good leg room, and the fun factor put it over the top. Here is my issue on the 3.2, the price. With options like nav and xenons it closes in on $39k. I can’t justify that much for that little car (I know it is a great car etc. I just personally think that is too much for it. Not meaning to flame the car, JMHO). If it was $29k it would be sitting in my driveway right now
So I drove a 2.0t and loved the engine. I think the 2.0t engine has more character and has a higher fun factor than the 3.2, not to mention the mod factor with the 2.0t. I know myself and I will have to mod wheatever I get. So the two points keeping me from the 2.0t are the lack of a power sport seat like the 3.2 and maybe the handeling with the lack of quattro.
So get a 2.0T A3 premium package with your favorite seats and modify the suspension. The mileage will be a lot better then the 3.2 v6! If comparing prices I'd pick a 2008 TT 2.0T premium over the 3.2 V6 A3 anyday, even though it not a Quattro!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:49 AM
1st Gear

Power sport seat is available on '08 A3 2.0.

Add a Neuspeed rear bar, sticky tires, and some FSD's to your 2.0T, and you'll forget about Quattro; the 2.0 is more tossable, and lighter on it's feet.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:58 AM

That's not a hard question to answer. Go back and read your post, be honest with yourself, and the only reasonable answer is to purchase the 2.0T. Personally, the power seats were something I was originally bummed not having, but it's not even an issue now. The quattro would be nice, but that's the only drawback for this purchase. BUT, I can still get my car to perform very very well without it!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: 2.0t vs 3.2 driving impressions wanted with the sport(s-line) pkg.