Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2.0T Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 05:56 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.0T Winter Driving

I have continentals on my 07 A3 and they are indeed the all-season version. And I have to report that I too have slipped in the snow. So far my only experience was visiting a friend in the mountains whose road was not plowed and driveway not shoveled. I only had to drive about a half mile and I was surprised at how poorly it handled. I almost got stuck in the driveway, although it was deep snow, I kept it bouncing along and got out only to slide on a flat road. I've driven in ice and snow before, but this was unnerving.

I'm glad to hear others have reported better results because I too was starting to feel bad that I didn't get Quattro. I may get some blizzaks for next winter. In the mean time I ordered some real low profile chains off the internet. Super Z-6 I think they say on them.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 AM
L7
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ryandlor

Let me Chime in with some points on Winter Driving (I Live in Canada), and the idea that All season tires actually dont mean all season....

For those of you that think that alll season tires will do, forget it.

Winter tires are a must, even if you have front wheel, its more than having traction on the front, you need all four. All season tires are not designed for winter driving (ice,snow,-temperatures is the biggest factor)

As soon as the temp gets close to freezing, all -seasons freeze up, lose traction, and are not designed to provide traction what soever. You lose instant grip with anything on the road. As well, having a car with ESP and TC youi're not going to get anywhere anyways because the tires never grip.

Youre best off owning two sets of tires..All seasons are never an option. Perfermance Tires for the summer, and a set of ice/snow tires for the winter. Again, as soon as the temperature gets near freezing, the compounds in a winter tire are the only one that can handle the cold.
Ryandlor;
Cool. Sounds like valid advice for the more northern crew on the forum. But, we are south of the Mason-Dixon line here in Maryland and the need for committed winter tires just doesn't economically viable to myself. Though using a set of performance summer tires is under consideration - alas financial limitations are always a hindrance along with the wife. 'Sides, technology has evolved to the point that all-seasons are doing better with the winter conditions then they were years ago. Anyhow, my A3 has barely been driven in any sort of substantial snow or ice. That's what the SUV is for.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Not a problem L7,

I just wanted to let everyone out there know, that all seasons are quite useless in any condition under 5C. Belive it or not, even up here in Canada, even when there is no snow or ice, as soon as the temperature gets below 5C..(about 42 F I beleive) Winter Tires by far outperform All seasons. Its all about temperature. Its hard to see but the compounds in all seasons cannot handle the cold temps, lose traction, stiffen up...and again are almost useless.

Just a note from a guy who lives with cold temps for 4-5 months of the year, and seeing people all around me with all seasons slipping, gettin bad mileage, and wearing out their tires. Winter Tires are more about driving in cold temps than just snow and Ice.

Cheers

Old 02-20-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

OK, I'm a bit confused about the traction control issue. Why would you want it turned off? This is my 1st car with traction control and since I'm gonna be heading up to Colorado this upcoming weekend I guess this bit of information might come in handy.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

Traction control individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels, and/or reduces excess engine power until 'control' is regained. If you slip a lot, this will result in the car not moving at all. Now, if you turn traction control off, even if you spin the wheels, there's a chance you will be moving - slowly, but better than nothing.

Check your manual too, I think they have an explanation as well.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Ahhh, thanks. Will check the OM tonight to see what it has to say as well.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

OK, almost forgot today is Fat Tuesday, so I prob won't be looking at the OM tonight Will try to remember to check it out tomorrow night.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Easter Bunny

Easter Bunny, Fairy God Mother, Tooth Fairy and All Season Tires all have something in common...
(Santa of course IS real)
All season tires are designed with a compound that remains flexible at lower temps. A summer tires compound turns to rock much below 45 degrees and its like driving on ice when the pavement is wet. An all season overcomes some of this limitation by having a compound that retains some of its adhesion at lower temperatures. But just because you could drive year round on All seasons does not me you should.
Winter tires and Snow tires have compounds designed specifically to work at low ambient temps. The compounds remain pliable at 7 degrees and they maintain traction where All Seasons could only dream.
Winter tires are more like All seasons from a tread design standpoint with additional sipes for grip. The big difference is that the compound is softer.
Snow tires have even deeper blocks and typically more squared off shoulders for better grip in deep snow but give up some on noise and comfort and especially handling when compared to Winter Tires.
I was in Maine 3 weekends ago and was going to a friends cabin. I accidentally turned up a snow mobile trail with my A3 2.0t. I was going right up the hill until I realized there were only sled marks and no tires in the trail (8" packed and groomed snow)

I am not saying that All seasons don't make sense for some folks (say living in VA or NC), but when you live in the North East and running them you are subscribing to a myth the tire companies started decades ago and are now trying to reverse. Not more than 5 years ago the Dunlop Winter Sport was the only real player in the H rated winter tire market. All of the manufacturers are there now.
Just remember if you do winter tires you want a long and skinny contact patch for winter traction. I went from a 225 to a 205 for my winters.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Winter Driving & Tire Chains on 2.0T

Damn. Wish I had quattro, but I like my 2.0T (and I might as well chip it!)

But in the mean time I'm trying to figure out why they sell a "cold-weather package" where you get a ski sack to hold your skis between the seats with the presumed desire to get up to the ski park for what people do in the winter.

Buuut, there is no way in hell you can put chains on this car. There is a half a finger's width between the front tire and suspension behind. I bought a set of chains off the internet for super low clearance fits, and I just tried them on in the garage. They were easy to put on but I was shocked how close they were to the strut back there. I can't imagine they are not going to hit as the wheel spins around.

So, it's a big powder day anywhere here in Northern California for tomorrow, but chains are required on almost all the mountain roads. So I bet you won't see any A3 2.0Ts there tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:35 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Winter Driving & Tire Chains on 2.0T

I bet you will but they will have http://www.spikes-spiders.comwhich work very well with the FWD cars. They are expensive but worth it. There is another new product called AutoSockhttp://www.autosock.co.uk/product.html but they haven't hit the states yet.

I actually just reviewed all the threads and JohnS1 had already pointed that out several reponses up just to give credit where credit is due.

Quick Reply: 2.0T Winter Driving