Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2.0TFSI engine clicking and wet exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.0TFSI engine clicking and wet exhaust

So I just bought a 2011 A3 2.0TFSI 6MT a few weeks ago with around 8900 miles on it. I never got it checked at a mechanic before purchasing like I should have. But today a family friend who's been a car mechanic for 30 years said immediately that something was wrong with the engine.

It makes a fast clicking sound upon start up that's clearly audible when the hood is up, but not audible from inside the car. Also, the exhaust mufflers in the back have this black fluid sitting in them, as shown here:

I'm not sure if that's water or oil, but it's black. Now, I don't know very much about cars, so I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction. The person who pointed out the issue said it's most definitely an engine issue of some sort. I will be taking the car to the Audi dealership next Tuesday to see what they can do. This issue will probably be covered under the 4yr/50k mi drivetrain warranty, correct?

Last edited by zygrene; 05-26-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Hi fella,

The 'clicking' is more likely to be the high pressure fuel injectors doing what they're supposed to - mine ticks loudly with the bonnet (hood) up too.

The black fluid in the exhaust is probably just water - a by-product of the engine\cat gases that will usually be vapourised on a longer run that heats the exhaust system up fully! dip your finger in, if it's water it won't be oily & it's nothing to worry about.

Going by your description - I'd say the car sound fine, but you need to find a new mechanical advisor.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Artimus
Hi fella,

The 'clicking' is more likely to be the high pressure fuel injectors doing what they're supposed to - mine ticks loudly with the bonnet (hood) up too.

The black fluid in the exhaust is probably just water - a by-product of the engine\cat gases that will usually be vapourised on a longer run that heats the exhaust system up fully! dip your finger in, if it's water it won't be oily & it's nothing to worry about.

Going by your description - I'd say the car sound fine, but you need to find a new mechanical advisor.
Thanks! That's reassuring. I think I will take the car to Audi tomorrow just to verify, but everything you said makes sense. I checked the liquid in the exhaust and it appears to be water. It's not viscous. Also, when I checked again today after a short drive, the liquid had dried up and there was only some black residue left inside the tips. Should be water, right?

Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

that's right, water & soot. the only effect will be to blacken your exhaust tips - which is unavoidable.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 AM
1st Gear

it's a direct injection engine --- they all make that clicking sound. the mechanic friend you have must only work on old cars that don't have direct injection

as for the black soot/water, that's totally normal. it's really annoying though, because you have to clean your exhaust tips every 2 weeks to to make it look nice and clean!