Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2006 Audi A3 Pads, Rotors, Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 AM
1st Gear
Default 2006 Audi A3 Pads, Rotors, Hardware

Hello, I am a proud new owner of a 2006 Audi A3.

I searched the forum and it seems the last brake post was quite some time ago and only addressed pads. As this car has been around for a bit I thought I would check in and see if anyone has comments?

Through all the cars I have owned somehow I have escaped doing a brake job, this car has 57K on the clock and the rear brakes look like they need replacing soon.

Based on information I have found on the forums I am almost sold on the Akebono Ceramic Pads, it sounds like the Centric ceramic pads have had some trouble in the past (pitting rotors, ect)?

I am looking at Centric Premium Rotors (non slotted or grooved) and it seems paired up with the Akebono pads it will give me long life, better value that Audi parts, and good performance. Anyone buy from Parts Geek? Seems like the best prices in town.

A few questions:

* Do I need to buy a Brake Hardware package? It looks like it comes with a few metal brackets and the rubber caliper bushings (Also made by Centric). My Guess is the original OEM audi stuff is better anyways.

* I have seen several brake jobs where they push the caliper back but do not bleed the braking system (just loosen the brake reservoir cap for expansion). Is there a problem with this? The brake system is air tight at the caliper end right? I don't see how air could get in there...

* How to you know if you need to replace the rotors? From a braking standpoint mine seem just fine, smooth. I am told there are indicator marks somewhere that dictate replacement (not sure where).

* If re-using the old rotors do they need to be "turned"? They are pretty smooth, no visible groove over 1mm. I have seen jobs where they do not and they turn out fine.

* This is my first German car and I was surprised to see a brake flush was required every 2 years but no where does it mention that the coolant ever has to be changed? My 98 ranger had original brake fluid and it did great. Is this dealership jaz or is this necessary?

* If the flush is necessary is it as simple as having someone pump the brake, someone making sure the reservoir is full and another watching the bleeder valve/fluid? Any idea how much fluid should be pushed through and what type of fluid to use?

* Apparently on the A3 the front brakes have wired sensors and the rear has a "noise" sensor. My rears squeak when you lightly press on the brakes but not when you press harder.. Is that the wear sensor I am hearing?

* lastly, I have a reputation of over tightening bolts... Anyone know the torque specs for the caliper bolts, bleeder valve ect?

I appreciate any info I can get and hopefully others on the forums can use it too. If anyone knows of a full how to on A3 brakes please post up, I could not find a tutorial anywhere.

Thanks

Photos of my rear brakes, you can see the corner of the pad on the second (sorry, had to try and work around the wheel)...
2006 Audi A3 Pads, Rotors, Hardware-img_0520-medium-.jpg
2006 Audi A3 Pads, Rotors, Hardware-img_0527-medium-.jpg

Old 08-26-2012, 02:59 AM
1st Gear

i have akebono ceramic pads -- good bite and GREAT on the brakedust --- my wheels aren't black anymore!

as far as rotors, you really don't need to spend the money for fancy rotors (slotted/drilled/etc) if you aren't tracking the car. if it's a daily driver, just plain rotors will be fine. i got a set of centric rotors, and they work great.

it's always better to change out the rotors with the pads for best braking performance, or if your rotors are warped or wearing.