Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2015 A3 cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 09:59 PM
1st Gear
Default 2015 A3 cabriolet

I just purchased a 2015 A3 cabriolet from a non-Audi dealer. The car did not have a spare tire. Is that normal?

The dealer thought the car comes with run flat tires instead of a spare. They were not able to confirm run flats were on the car.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Bought mine new in August. Comes with a space-saver spare.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

You have the convertible - right? Looking in the area where a spare would be there doesn't look like there is room for one.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

Have small spare in mine.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

According to the local Audi dearer, the A3 Cabriolets don't come with a spare due to space. They have a air pump and a container of stuff like Fix-a-Flat. There is no way even a space saver spare would fit in my trunk in the space where you'd expect a spare to be. I may go with run flat tires when the OEM tires need to be replaced.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:32 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 Cab spare?

All right, I was beginning to think I had lost my short term memory, so I just went out to the garage and opened the trunk of mu 2015 A3, premium, 1.8l cabriolet. Then, I lifted the floor of the trunk and it hit me! There's a spare tire and a jack residing therein. I touched it. It's not an illusion, it's actually there. Really, I swear.

Bill

Old 04-02-2016, 07:53 AM
1st Gear

Very curious

Old 04-03-2016, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

All are really right, perhaps the following will clear it up.

Inclusion of spare tire on the A3 Cabriolet depends on your engine and Quattro. Those with the smaller engine and front wheel drive have a space saver spare. Those with the 2.0T and Quattro have an repair/inflation kit, but no spare tire. There is not as much room below the trunk on models with Quattro. Let's face it most of us still want somewhat of a trunk when the top is down. If you check your owners manual there will be info on both those that have a spare and those that have the repair kit.

My A3 Cabriolet is a '15 Prestige trim model with 2.0T engine, Quattro, sport package and 19" wheel upgrade. It does NOT have a spare.

Most of the time if there is an issue with a tire it is caused by a small tread puncture from a nail on the road. In those cases the repair inflating kit will usually get you to a shop that can do a more permanent repair or replacement if repair is not possible. If damage is more extensive you will need to call a towing service.

In the case of the A3 Cabriolet it is a space issue with some power trains, but I tend to think that as car companies try to wring out every pound possible from weight to get to average mileage requirements that more and more cars will not have spares. Even the space saver weighs quite a bit more than a repair/inflation kit.

Neither of the A3 power trains come from the factory with run flat tires. It would seem that on a 15 that tires would not have been replaced. Of course it could be possible the previous owner could have replaced the summer tires on 19" wheel summer tires with all season ones, or possibly replaced them with run flat tires. The 19" wheels have a anthracite and silver finish rather than all silver, so it is easy to tell which are which. It can be further verified by tire size as standard ones are 18" and wheel diameter is always marked on the tires. Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels carries just about any tire available here. They also have a large amount of specific info about the tires including ratings. By checking the specific tire on your car you can probably find out for sure.

Run flats sound like a good idea on cars that do not have a spare and there are a number of other cars without a spare. However most people I know who have gotten them as OEM or replaced existing tires with them find that they cause the car to ride like a board. Two friends went back to conventional tires when the run flats wore out.

We may not feel comfortable without a spare tire. But let's face it how many flats have we really had. I can remember two over the last 20 years on multiple cars. Perhaps I have been lucky.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 AM
1st Gear

Bobmar46, what a great response. That clears it up for me. I have a 2.0T w/Quattro.
Thanks