Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2015 A3 Limo noise/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 AM
1st Gear
Default 2015 A3 Limo noise/vibration

So I have a 2015 A3 Limo with approx. 9200 miles. Purchased it about 6 months ago. For the last 1000 miles or so there has been a semi constant hum at 35-40, 45-50 and again around 65-70 MPH. the noise feels/sounds like amped up road noise. and it goes in and out (whuuum-whuuuum-whuuuum) and the accelerator pedal transmits this road noise very strongly. the sound repeats at the same frequency only louder has the speed increases and the pedal again increases its vibration. I took the car in, service said the alignment wasn't really off, still did one and charged me for it, also stated the wheel bearings were fine. Noise is still there. He stated there was some light cupping of the tires and that it shouldn't be a problem to continue to drive and wear the first set of tires down. (my guess is they want me to mess it up requiring new tires, or wear them out faster and again, buying new tires). I suspect bad shock since cupping is usually caused by either bad shock/spring or unbalanced tire. the tires are also balanced right now leading me to suspect suspension component. If anyone has any ideas, I’m all for it! i have a pic of the tires surface and the brake disc. it appears, when comparing front to back, that the front disc’s have grooves on the outer edge while the rears are smooth as silk…..

Thanks Everyone!

Old 09-28-2015, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Same noise

Originally Posted by jthessin
So I have a 2015 A3 Limo with approx. 9200 miles. Purchased it about 6 months ago. For the last 1000 miles or so there has been a semi constant hum at 35-40, 45-50 and again around 65-70 MPH. the noise feels/sounds like amped up road noise. and it goes in and out (whuuum-whuuuum-whuuuum) and the accelerator pedal transmits this road noise very strongly. the sound repeats at the same frequency only louder has the speed increases and the pedal again increases its vibration. I took the car in, service said the alignment wasn't really off, still did one and charged me for it, also stated the wheel bearings were fine. Noise is still there. He stated there was some light cupping of the tires and that it shouldn't be a problem to continue to drive and wear the first set of tires down. (my guess is they want me to mess it up requiring new tires, or wear them out faster and again, buying new tires). I suspect bad shock since cupping is usually caused by either bad shock/spring or unbalanced tire. the tires are also balanced right now leading me to suspect suspension component. If anyone has any ideas, I’m all for it! i have a pic of the tires surface and the brake disc. it appears, when comparing front to back, that the front disc’s have grooves on the outer edge while the rears are smooth as silk…..

Thanks Everyone!
I just bought a used a3 and I have the same noise , dealership says they can't hear it. I go back to theme tomorrow. Did you ever find out was the noise was? I don't think mine is road noise. I'm guessing pvc now, there is a high pitched noise while it's idling. I go to the dealership in 12 hours , it would be great if you get back to me by then.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jackbrown1975
I just bought a used a3 and I have the same noise , dealership says they can't hear it. I go back to theme tomorrow. Did you ever find out was the noise was? I don't think mine is road noise. I'm guessing pvc now, there is a high pitched noise while it's idling. I go to the dealership in 12 hours , it would be great if you get back to me by then.
Still have the noise/vibration. Friend suggested I may have popped a belt in one or more tires. I plan on getting the tires replaced in the next month and will see if the noise abates.....

Old 09-30-2015, 09:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Same noise

Still have the noise/vibration. Friend suggested I may have popped a belt in one or more tires. I plan on getting the tires replaced in the next month and will see if the noise abates.....
I went to dealer and a tech , I think manager rode with me and talked in circles saying it's a combination of road and wind noise and some other nonsense. He told me to drive in sport or shift manually. I don't know what it is. It could be 6th gear. I've heard it from 35- 45 , from 50-60 and steady at around 70 mph. I take it to another dealership in 2 weeks, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your response, keep me posted

Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Same noise

I went to dealer and a tech , I think manager rode with me and talked in circles saying it's a combination of road and wind noise and some other nonsense. He told me to drive in sport or shift manually. I don't know what it is. It could be 6th gear. I've heard it from 35- 45 , from 50-60 and steady at around 70 mph. I take it to another dealership in 2 weeks, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your response, keep me posted

Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

I just drove again and it's not just 6th it does it in 6th 5th and 4th. Must be engine

Old 10-01-2015, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

I just drove again and it's not just 6th it does it in 6th 5th and 4th. Must be engine
I know, that when cruising around, I can turn all my music, ventilation off, release the gas pedal and let it drift, and i can still hear the "whump, whump, whump" as I drive under no load-no acceleration. IM really thinking its popped belts within the tire, but won't know until i get the tires replaced. I do know, that after the last tire rotation, the vibrations transmitted thru to the gas pedal ceased.....

Old 10-02-2015, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

I know, that when cruising around, I can turn all my music, ventilation off, release the gas pedal and let it drift, and i can still hear the "whump, whump, whump" as I drive under no load-no acceleration. IM really thinking its popped belts within the tire, but won't know until i get the tires replaced. I do know, that after the last tire rotation, the vibrations transmitted thru to the gas pedal ceased.....
Itsfi fixed it think. I had the tires rotated and balanced , 2 were off. Also the pressure was low , 15 pounds too low each tire. I had an 2004 r32 that was recommended lower in the front tires . I don't care if don't hear the noise. Hope you get your car sorted out

Old 10-02-2015, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

Same thing less vibration but I still hear it , I spoke too soon

Old 10-02-2015, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

Same thing less vibration but I still hear it , I spoke too soon
I'm surprised Noone else commented on this thread

Quick Reply: 2015 A3 Limo noise/vibration