Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

7500 miles and big smile on my face

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:21 PM
1st Gear
Default 7500 miles and big smile on my face

I haven't made a post here in a while and felt the need to publicly praise by loaded 2007 A3 premium ocean blue baby....

Just passed 7500 miles and six months of ownership. Satellite radio subscription has run out, but I don't plan to renew...

The premium sound package (that comes with the nav) sounds great and functions great with the 6 cd changer and MP3 slots. I haven't felt the need to connect my iPod as of yet. Dragging and dropping my iTunesconverted mp3s to SD cards isn't too much effort.And I don't have to constantly keep track of where my iPod is to plug into the car.

I almost did not spend the extra for the Nav package but so glad I did. Besides the sound options I get with it mentioned above, the Nav really is a great useable piece of technology. Despite it being intuitive, it really helps to brush through the manual to get the full functionality of this thing. I use it whenever I go out of town now and even on places I've already been. It keeps me from forgetting to take exits as the lady talks to me and it's suggested several nice shortcuts I never knew about. It's nice to know when you will arrive at your detination too.

I live in California, and I know this is an international site, but those of you familiar with Tahoe will know the Highway 50 route from Sacramento up to South Shore as a windy 100 miles from sea level to 7000 feet. I just made that drive two weekends ago on a Friday night and wow! It is so nice to have the power of the 2.0 Turbo for those short passing lanes as you go up those hills. I easily passed all the cars in front of me each time Icame to a passing zonewithout hesitation, safely.The bi-xenon lights were perfect for this road turninginto the corners. And when you are concentrating on these corners at speed while passing, it's nice for the car to hit the wipers for you and dim the mirror so you keep the hands on the wheel. And I averaged 30mpg for this weekend trip, despite my lead foot up the hill on the way there.

Spring has sprung and it'stime to pursue some window tinting andget the roof rack on the car. I've got the roof rails and had some trouble in the USA findingroof bars that will adapt. I see the Audi site now says it is an available accessory for this, but detail photos I've seen don't look to sleek. I've found a place in Ireland where I'm ordering a top-of-the line Atera brand roof bar custom made just for this car. I'll make another post for this after it arrives.

The car has held 4 passengers fine and is plenty roomy for the two of us and gear onweekend adventures.... I do wish it was Quattro. But I love this car!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:38 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 7500 miles and big smile on my face

Very cool that the turbo does so great at high elevations. I had one question....do you still receive 14 demo channels on your Sirius Satellite radio after your subscription runs out? I never called them and subscribed.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Hi John,

No, I get no demo channels at all. It just comes up with a screen to call Sirius at 1-888 something to re-subscribe...

Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 PM
SoCal Crew Member

if you like that power going uphill......... try just getting your ECU remapped, ($500)it'll add a good amount of horsepower and you'll love your Audi even more!!!!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jefferson
Hi John,
No, I get no demo channels at all. It just comes up with a screen to call Sirius at 1-888 something to re-subscribe...
Interesting, I never subscribed to Sirius and after 3 weeks past the time I thought the demo mode would quit its still receiving the 14 stations.
Cheers

Old 04-16-2007, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

ORIGINAL: Jefferson
Hi John,
Interesting, I never subscribed to Sirius and after 3 weeks past the time I thought the demo mode would quit its still receiving the 14 stations.
Cheers
i had the same thing. Don't call them and you'll keep it for the life the the car. I made that mistake and lost my free 'demo' mode.That mode is intended for use in cars sitting in the showroom, so it will stay on as long as the car isnt sold. They are supposed to activate your 90 day'trial' period which includes ALL channels, but only for 90 days. I'd rather have 14, free indefinately.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: falcompsx
i had the same thing. Don't call them and you'll keep it for the life the the car. I made that mistake and lost my free 'demo' mode.That mode is intended for use in cars sitting in the showroom, so it will stay on as long as the car isnt sold. They are supposed to activate your 90 day'trial' period which includes ALL channels, but only for 90 days. I'd rather have 14, free indefinately.
Thanks, I'll see how long it remains active. [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]
Ok this basically says the Sirius Radio has four modes of operation
- Dealer Demo Mode (initial)
- Customer Demo Mode (customer contact Sirius and requests full demo for 90 days)
- Customer Activated Account (subscriber)
- Disabled Mode (only SID hawker channel active)

Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

Thanks, I'll see how long it remains active. [sm=crossbonesgif.gif]
Ok this basically says the Sirius Radio has four modes of operation
- Dealer Demo Mode (initial)
- Customer Demo Mode (customer contact Sirius and requests full demo for 90 days)
- Customer Activated Account (subscriber)
- Disabled Mode (only SID hawker channel active)
thats correct, except your second point is supposed to be done by the dealer, not you. You shold have never gotten the car the way it is...so enjoy it!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

thats correct, except your second point is supposed to be done by the dealer, not you. You shold have never gotten the car the way it is...so enjoy it!
I checked up on that tidbit, appariently you have to furnish credit card information to Sirius for Customer Demo Mode, so the dealer is not supposed to do that per local Audi reps. Its interesting that some do it for you.
All of the most recent high end Audi's using mmi interface Sirius Radios will go totally dead after 90 days of usage, just displaying SID.
The new A3's and A4's with non-mmi Sirius radios might play 15 channels indefinitely if never subscribed is what I heard.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

Ahh...well what i said is what Sirrius told me when i called the to find out why i only have 15 channels on my demo.

Quick Reply: 7500 miles and big smile on my face