Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 2.0 - how does it drive in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Default A3 2.0 - how does it drive in snow?

Hi All,

I am looking to buy an A3 2.0, but since I live in the East Coast (CT) - I was concerned that it wouldn't handle well in the snow. I can't afford the 3.2 that is a bit pricey for me. Does anyone have any feedback for me?

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 2.0 - how does it drive in snow?

Hi sandraect,
I too live on the east coast (in RI) and have driven my 2.0T in a few snowstorms this year - no problems. It handled surprisingly well and I felt very comfortable taking it out! I always drive conservatively in the snow and haven't gotten stuck - even up hills.

HTH,
Joseppe

ORIGINAL: sandraect

Hi All,

I am looking to buy an A3 2.0, but since I live in the East Coast (CT) - I was concerned that it wouldn't handle well in the snow. I can't afford the 3.2 that is a bit pricey for me. Does anyone have any feedback for me?

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear

yeah the 2.0T works well in the snow....that being saidit is the driver that matters the most when driving in the snow and you being from CT you probably know how to drive in the snow.After that it is just a matter of learing your cars nuances

Old 02-22-2008, 10:03 AM
1st Gear

I live in upstate New York and I find it to handle the snow just fine. That being said, I would budget for a good set of winter tires (blizzak or something equivalent). While the all season continentals do ok... I would feel better in the snow with some winter specific tires. The 17" wheels that come stock don't have a very deep sidewall and I find on very cold/snowy days that my wheels slip a bit more and the tires are a little less plyable than my previous FWD cars which all had snow tires on in winter. I'm holding out on the snow tire purchase till next winter because I'm heading to graduate school in the fall, and depending on where I go will depend on whether a set of snow tires is a smart investment or not (not much snow at Duke, but tons at UW-Madison). So I'm toughing it out with the OEM tires for this winter. If you are in CT I would highly reccomend some quality snow tires. I would also reccomend buying some cheap steel (if they are made for our cars yet) or cheap alloy rims to mount the snows on. Then you can change the tires at your conveniance, not have to pay a garage to do it for you, and you can protect the nice OEM wheels from road salt. I realize this may not be possible if you have TPS. I don't on my A3, which is why I went that route. Even with the all seasons though, I still commute 33 miles each way to work 6 days a week, and haven't felt uncomefortable making the journey yet and we've had some pretty decent storms so far this year.

Another observation I have is that the traction control can be a little too sensitive in some situations. For example, my driveway has a moderate incline to it. Nothing major but enough that my tires will slip a bit when pulling in the garage. On snowy days, I'll get about half way up, the traction controll will kick in, slowing me down to a stand still, and I just hover there on the driveway. The traction control wont let the wheels spin because the start to slip immediatly so I'm effectivly stuck on the hill by the computer. In these cases I have to back down the drive way, turn OFF the traction control and proceede up as I would with a non traction control cars. I think this would be less of a problem with dedicated snow tires, but it is something to keep in mind. Though I am very impressed with the ASR/EST on the A3, Computers can't do everything better than a driver can...

Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
L7
1st Gear

The Pirelli P6's totally suck on ice though. I am west of Baltimore and gave up trying to go anywhere today. Tried to make it out of my street and gave up. Put her back in the garage and am working from home today. Anyone else out there having their own versions of the "Ice Capades"? I'll try to get a picture of the ice rink outside the county calls a street.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

With 17" Dunlop Wintersport 3D's, my A3 2.0T has been fantastic in snow. I've hadabsolutely no problems crossing the Cascades mountains on several occasions in conditions when chains were 'required.' I had them if needed, but absolutely no traction problems (not even a hint of the ESP light flashing) without the chains.

I'm sure Quattro is nice to have, but I'm not willing to pay the costs in weight, agility, gas mileage (and purchase price).

Old 02-25-2008, 12:21 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I just put in my order...can't wait to drive it!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

You wont be disapointed. As a 2.0T owner in Cold Snowy Montana, I tried to get through this winter with out getting snow tires but not even having all-seasons I got very stuck and had a fun attack at the small hill to get out. My suggestion is to go to TireRack.com and check out the suggested snow tire packages. I did it and got a set of rims and tires plus shipping for $645. They suggest 16' rims and I'm glad I did that. It was cheaper plus that extra side wall in snow and ice is nice.
ENJOY!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

I live in RIand have foundthe A3 handleswell in moderate snow. (We haven't experienced big storms or blizzardsbut I would probably stay home anyway) As you know,tires are extremely important. If you don't want dedicated snow tires (I do not have them) insure you have a excellent all season tire. (Obviously, high performance summer tires are out.) I had Pirelli's P6 on my A3 and they were AWFUL. I couldn't get them off the car fast enough. I bought Yokohama YK 520's from Discount Tire Direct. They are asymetrical and have (I think) a great tread design for all weather. Good Luck.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

My A3 Had Conti SC2s (Summer-Only) tires on for the first Seattle winter I had it and they scared the living s--t out of me in any conditions below 45 degrees, so I pulled them and replaced them with some Yoko W4s, which have been great in light snow. I now use the Contis as rain tires on my autocross car, where they work great.

Point being that given the right tires, an A3 will do just fine in most light snow conditions. In the heavy stuff, you need AWD and real snow tires.