Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 2.0T Power Failure! (?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 2.0T Power Failure! (?)

Now I'm concerned. I rank engine power failures right up there with braking and steering system failures. They can all cost people their lives. I need definitive word from Audi that my engine's problem has been identified by them and corrected in the form of re-engineered systems (be they high pressure fuel pumps, fuel sensors, whatever). If changes were made by late 2007, Audi needs to own up to it. If they can't give me the confidence that would instill, I will be reluctant to drive this car. If I cannot be confident in my new car's power delivery then it won't work for me.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ogurut

My brief web investigation indicates that, if yours is the same problem, heat and altitude are having an effect on the fuel pump/sensor in the 2.0 FSI engines.

How much heat are we talking about? I live in Florida and this summer has been brutally hot (95+) and I haven't had any issue. Is it the combination of heat and altitude?

Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

My engine popped at about 98 degrees F. The altitude was about 6000 feet above sea level.

By the way, in response to Chef, I am currently driving a lovely Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 AM

MOPAR[sm=icon_rock.gif]

LOL

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

The outside temp reported on the trip computer was ~105, at 5500 ft. when mine started acting up. As I recall, some of the other reports I came across were places like Vegas with 110+ temps, and Colorado with 100+ at high altitudes.

Changing out the sensor and pump seems to be the typical fix. I don't know if that's an actual engineered fix (ie. they investigated the parts and know why this is happening) or it just seems to work.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

The dealership (Premier Audi of Albuquerque's service and sales departments) today acknowledged that my car's problem is a known issue for which there is no viable solution. They stated that the best they could do is to replace the failed parts with new parts that may be destined to fail likewise. I advised them that this was unacceptable requesting that they buy back my car for a reasonable price. The general sales manager offered me $22,000 for my vehicle for which I paid $28,500 one and a half months and 3000 miles ago. I declined their offer and asked, "So you are unwilling to absorb any of my car's depreciation expense in order to help me out of a terrible situation -and safety hazard- that is exclusively the fault of Audi?" No, was the effective answer. Meanwhile, I have opened a claim with Audi Customer Service.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

I agree that lacking a full, engineered and tested solution, this is definitely a safety concern. I, for one, would be interested in knowing what Audi's response is.

Another approach is to file a safety complaint with nhtsa: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Old 07-20-2007, 09:28 PM

Okay, but you guys are WAY too worked up about this issue. Pursue all of the necessary means, but don't get totally FREAKED out. I understand being upset, and filing complaints with an Audi advocate, but getting rid of a car for one issue is absurd. Flame me if you want, but get over having one problem with a car. Get real!

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

Here's my take: a hypothetical major brake system failure... equals major safety concern with zero tolerance for anything but perfection.
Major steering system failure... equals major safety concern with zero tolerance for anything but perfection.
Power delivery failure..... equals major safety concern with zero tolerance for anything but perfection.

Any one system failure listed above can easily result in an accident. Any one such failure is therefore absolutely unacceptable.

If Audi would be unable to fix such concerns, the car would need to go. Very simple. Very unfortunate. Audi needs to make it right.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

I'm personally not planning to get rid of my car. I like it, I want to continue liking it. It's the most fun I've had with a car. It's also been the most frightening. Having the usual assortment of SUVs and trucks hauling *** towards me when my car won't go, does in fact freak me out. I can only imagine how much more unnerving it would have been at highway speeds.

I do belive this is a legitimate safety issue that Audi needs to address with a real solution, not just "we replaced some parts and hope that fixes it". I am willing to let them find a solution, but if they can't or won't, then I will have to re-evaluate my position. Modern cars are very complex, and all manufacturers have their issues. They just need to make it right.

Audi, don't make me put this bumper sticker on my car: "Back off, this car is making up for unintended acceleration." [:@]

(not that I'd put a bumper sticker on my car).

Quick Reply: A3 2.0T Power Failure! (?)