Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 Air Intake - Master Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Default A3 Air Intake - Master Discussion

Hey Everyone,

We have had so many different "cold air" intake products and I've heard a lot of different complaints about each of the different brands. I'm trying to compile a list of each different unit and the positives and negatives with your experience with each one. Just leave apost with your type of after-market air filter and your thoughts, feelings and experiences.

I currently have the prototype for the K&N short ram intake in aluminum in a chrome finish. It came with an air box to shield and direct the factory inlet to the filter.

Positives: Looks really nice, and you can definitely hear the air whoosh in. No problems with oil on the filter or MAF faults. Works adequately.

Negatives: Shield was too tight on the vacuum hose elbow going into the brake boost. That really rubs when you add an after-market boost gauge, or mechanical DV. Also, the quality and integrity of the shield showed age quickly and needed to be removed. The air filter sits next to the hot engine and the aluminum pipe gets scorching quickly.

I have the opportunity to test a "real" cold air intake system from one of the pioneers in the cold air intake development from the mid '90's, AEM. They don't have much for our VAG cars, but this product peaks my interest for a couple reasons.

The first is the huge debate on whether the K&N type filters cause MAF destruction due to the light oil coating on the cone. Now K&N warranties their product and suggests that is not the case, but even if that is true, you'll still be up against the dealer in the battle, and we know who usually wins those fights. AEM uses a dry filter element that doesn't need oiling. Also, I see that they have good air flow even under dirty conditions, and I've always wondered how clogged the oiled filter would become?

The next thing I wonder is how much of a gain do you get from moving the filter towards the lower front of the car? Is the drop in temperature that significant that you can notice it in your butt on a brisk drive, or do you need a delicate computer to calculate the increase? This will finally help me decide what remains in my car.

I will have a different thread with a full write up and pictures of the install of the AEM CAI. I will then give my thoughts and feelings on the CAI in the upcoming weeks. Expect the install and write-up over the weekend.

Give up your thoughts and concerns over your intakes. Maybe we can voice our ideas and gripes to some people who will make a change?

Cheers!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 Air Intake - Master Discussion

Ok - I'll chime in re: the P-flow.

Positives:

1. Install was pretty straightforward and fitment was good - sits very tight in its spot. There was no rubbing against any factory parts as Chef mentioned.
2. Sound is loud (I will list as negative as well).
3. Looks (subjective - but I like the look of it). That said, the heat shield is unfinished which is a little tacky. Could have been black.

Negatives:

1. Cannot use factory engine cover. This will result in added cost for a new one.
2. About a month in, when the weather got cold, I got an engine light and a couple of new codes (resolved by Neuspeed).
3. Sound is loud!

Questions:

Actual performance gain is still a mystery to me. It doesn't feel much different with the exception of pulling a little harder at higher speeds. Also, as has been mentioned before, this is not a true cold air intake. The air is basically being taken from the same area as the stock intake. In fact, the stock air intake may even get colder air as it afixes directly against the grill where air is forced into it from the outside. I think a "less restrictive" intake is more accurate.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

I have the AEM CAI, probably the first one in the county - I have the prototype intake that was installed at AEM headauarters in So Cal. I have the only chrome one in existence for the A3 - looks pretty good but hard to keep clean.

Pros:
- Perfect fit. AEM did their homework and uses stock points in the engine bay for install.
- True cold air intake - the air filter sits behind my driver's side foglight. After install, you can see that's it's about as far away from that hot engine as possible. It's a pretty snug fit, so there's the buffer of the headlight housing and other things in the engine bay to also help keep the heat away. I can definitely feel the difference from stock, especially on colder days.
- Never had any problems with throwing engine codes.
- No filter oil needed! Much easier to clean and maintain.
- Sound - might be con for some - people always ask if I have an aftermarket blow-off valve. Hondas step down once they hear the WHOOOOSHHH-PSHHHH.

Cons:
- Since the intake goes all the way into the bumper, it's much harder to install. Also, when you need to clean the filter, you need to take off the whole front bumper.
- Must remove the stock engine cover. Makes things look a bit bare under the hood, but I don't mind so much.
- Risk of water ingestion - since the filter sits so low to the ground, have to be careful when driving through puddles, etc. Since we have forced-induction engines, we cannot use the AEM air bypass valve. Good thing I live in So Cal and don't have to deal with too many puddles/rain.
- Cost - it's a bit pricier than other intakes - I think I've seen prices of $350-400 but I may be wrong. Good thing I got mine for free =)

Bottom line - the AEM CAI is one of the best TRUE cold air intakes for the A3 that provides power than I can actually feel. I don't know how much of a difference it is from a short ram intake, but I could definite feel the difference from stock. AEM claims it gives 15whp and something similar in torque gains but I'm sure this was after they played around with the engine tuning. I think there's dyno charts on the AEM site.

If you're going to spend the money on an intake, I'd suggest putting in the extra money to get a true cold air.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the AEM review and the P-Flow. I know that people have had the previous generation P-Flow's actually break on them, so I'm also interested in the redesign. Having had the short ram intake from K&N, I'm truly anxious to try the "real" CAI and see the difference.

Cheers!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Is that intake design specifically for just the 2.0 T motor?and is there going to be anything in the works for us 3.2 guys?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 PM

The 2.0T engine is definitely king of the mods and truly benefits from the CAI. I'm sure there will be applications for the 3.2, but you won't see the gain like the rest of us. Sorry mate.

Cheers!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 AM

Yeah that is true. Now then the only option is to save for the HPA turbo kit

Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

VF Short Ram Intake for 3.2. I was the first one to test fit this for them on the 3.2 since they really made it for the MKV R32.

Pros: Looks nice, sounds nice, works well, comes with a finished (black) heat shield divider (w/ VF Logo!), uses K&N filter, no faults.

Cons:
-Sits higher in the engine bay then I would like, collecting hot air, but I guess that's what the shield is suppose to help with.
-Venturi tube that comes with it does not mount as easily as it does for the R32 and the reason being is that 1) A3 fog light area is tighter then R32 and 2) internally, the A3 is more snug in the front driver side area that the tube can't beadjusted well to face out. I was able to rig it using wiring and tied it up but its not asthetically pleasing if you're looking from inside. I think by having the tube does make a difference by allowing more outside air direct to the intake.
-Secondly, the heat shield does not stay in place all the time. I know how to fix it, but I don't. The OEM bolt that holds down the OEM airbox has about the first 1/8" of the threads missing. By doing this, then OEM bolt can sit lower and more snug...unfortunately the OEM bolt is too short to reuse.

So, anyone know how I can remove threading on a bolt easily w/o mucking up the rest of the thread?

Parts:

Installed:

Thread issue:

Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

any one with a carbonio review...???

Im leaning towards it because you dont have to mod the engine cover...

Old 02-13-2008, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

Chef - I'm curious what broke on the P-flow? Engine mount? Tube cracking?

Quick Reply: A3 Air Intake - Master Discussion