Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A3
A3 Coolant Temp Gauge Faulty >

A3 Coolant Temp Gauge Faulty

Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 Coolant Temp Gauge Faulty

Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Default A3 Coolant Temp Gauge Faulty

I have an Audi A3 2002 and the coolant gauge reads incorrectly.
Iím wondering if I may have caused the problem when trying to diagnose an overheating issue which is now cured.
At switch the gauge does not start at the normal zero point. It jumps straight to around 75 degrees as the start, and will rise to a max on around 110 degrees. Basically the gauge functions but is out of spec.
I had the car checked and it is not overheating at all, although this was an original problem. I cured the overheating but replacing the fuse that controls the fans. The water pump was checked and is fine too. I also had the green engine thermo temp switch replaced because when removed the gauge was affected, dropping to zero at switch on. This had no effected when engine was switch on with the new switch connected. Oh, and I replaced the coolant water bootle as requested by Audi in an attempt to cure the overheating at that time. They claimed it may have had a crack as there was evidence of water in the power socket. It had no effect. Maybe this caused the problem?
Anybody have any ideas? Itís not a replacement of my instrument panel, I hope.