Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 down pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 AM
Administrator
Default A3 down pipe

they have good gains
Tim, Nam, Chef tempting isnt it

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=FSI

Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: A3 down pipe

damn, if it's that cheap, i'll get one in before the gtg......... heee heee........... as for the cat back......... would there be any more gains? or does the downpipe do most of the gains?

would APR support the reflash if i go with this brand?

Old 10-11-2006, 02:23 PM
SoCal Crew Member

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2832989

Ecode is selling it for $50 less, incl. shipping.

You will need Stage II software. From what I understand, Stage I and II are the same except Stage II overwrites a fault code associated with eliminating an O2 sensor, which is what a turboback exhaust does.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
SoCal Crew Member

would performance gains be better if i have the full turbo back exhaust, compared to just the downpipe? i need answers before i buy something.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

i imagine a full exhaust would have better gains, but the bulk of the gains are in the downpipe from what i understand. the cat back part is mostly for sound.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

That's great. so it only works with Stage II?

Old 10-11-2006, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Downpipe cat delete

I read through the ATP downpipe description as it does sound intriguing (as do the others: milltek, neuspeed, ghl, awe, etc), but had a couple concerns. The way it reads, it sounds as though this is a full cat delete (as opposed to a pre-cat delete, cat relocate, or high flo cat) with the ability to add a cat later. 1) not sure how or at what price you can add a cat later 2) if it's a complete cat delete, i wouldn't say this is the most environmentally concious mod (just pointing out the reality - not a tree hugger or anything).

I believe some of the other dp options do a "high flow" cat (e.g. 200 or 400 cell) to keep emissions down, but still increase performance (albeit probably not as well as a full cat-delete or "test pipe" as i've heard them called). Perhaps someone who has a better understanding of exhaust system can chime in if i am off base.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:47 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Downpipe cat delete

The downpipe here has NO cat, so it is a full cat delete.

I agree w/ Falcompsx - the downpipe accounts for the majority of the gains from a full turbo back exhaust (especially when it's a cat-delete version). The stock cat-back section flows pretty well already. Downpipe only may be the way to go if you are concerned with the loudness of a full turbo-back system. (My wife certainly is.) Also, I've heard that some downpipes, even with high-flow cats, are not going to pass emissions (especially CARB smog check in CA) anyway (especially if the car is not warmed up). Currently, I have not seen a downpipe (even with a cat) that is CARB approved or exempt, so even if it blows clean, it's may not pass the visual inspection part.

My comment about re: Stage I v. Stage II is only with regard to APR software. If you run Stage I software, you will get an error code because the ECU is expecting input from the eliminated O2 sensor.

Also, the first bend if the aft section of this downpipe (where the weld is) does not appear to be a mandrel bent. Don't know if this is a big deal; most others I have seen appear to be all mandrel bent.

Another option to consider is Techtonics:

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=847

For $80 more, you get a fully mandrel bent downpipe with what appears to be a generic cat.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:46 AM
SoCal Crew Member

CAN ANYONE HERE EXPLAIN ALL THIS IN ENGLISH FOR ME PLEASE?

- so how would i go about in getting the downpipe?
- and i don't want my exhaust to be loud at all, so is the Downpipe by itself the way to go?
- and Yuppie said it's a catback delete? what does that mean?
- and if i get the ATP downpipe, would APR reflash my ECU for me? and for free since it's not an APR pipe?

i need more info before my purchase,

Old 10-12-2006, 04:19 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Nam - patience, grasshopper... Addressing you points out of order makes better sense:

3. I did not say catback delete, I said cat delete, which means that the down pipe does NOT have a cat. Your stock downpipe has a cat. So does APR's, Neuspeed's, Techtonics and some others.

Compare:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2832989 (no cat)

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=847 (what appears to be a generic cat)

Not having a cat gives better gains, but pollutes more. Your A3 will fail CARB smog check for sure; but you don't have to worry about smog check for 5 years if you keep you A3. If you sell, the new owner has to pass smog check before he can get it registered. An aftermarket cat pollutes less, and may still fail CARB smog check, especially the visual part.

2. An exhaust system on a turbo car comprises: header, turbo, downpipe (with or without cat), and the catback section (with or without muffler). As the stock downpipe has a cat, the last section is usually referred to as the catback section. Changing any of these parts to improve flow usually increase loudness. The more parts you change, the louder it is. See, e.g., A3Night's A3.

4. Eurocode Tuning (www.ecodetuning.com) says that if it installs the downpipe it will give free APR Stage II reflash because that is APR's policy.

1. So may be best for you to buy the downpipe from Eurocode Tuning. But they are in Torrance, CA, a bit far from you. Not too far, at the speed you usually drive though.

I feel that, to make an informed decision about these kind of things, you have to do more research and understand all this at a level that you are comfortable with.

Quick Reply: A3 down pipe