Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 to get some serious competition in 2008

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 to get some serious competition in 2008

Wow, Audi A3 and MazdaSpeed 3 are going to have major competition in 2008. Subaru has recently noted the increased popularity of the hatchback recently with the emergence of the A3 and Mazdaspeed 3. They are releasing the WRX STI as a hatchback only option!!!
I hope this makes Audi step up the performance of the A3!! It's amazing what a little competition can do (ie.. EVO vs STI).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=119503#4

http://www.corelineracing.com

Old 02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 to get some serious competition in 2008

ORIGINAL: smarsenal

Wow, Audi A3 and MazdaSpeed 3 are going to have major competition in 2008. Subaru has recently noted the increased popularity of the hatchback recently with the emergence of the A3 and Mazdaspeed 3. They are releasing the WRX STI as a hatchback only option!!!
I hope this makes Audi step up the performance of the A3!! It's amazing what a little competition can do (ie.. EVO vs STI).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=119503#4

Subaru makes a very fast competitor with the WRX series. What I am disappointed is the big talk of Audi USA taking on BMW and Mercedes as market leader. They need to be promoting all their line, not concentrate on Q7 commercials, and A4 sedans end of year pushes! Everyone I'd shown the A3 really likes it, but alas Audi hardly market's it.....are they stupid or what?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

Well, they had better do something or the WRX is going to take the market for hatchbacks. Prices are pretty comparable between the two. Audi has nicer interiors. STI is light years ahead of A3 in terms of performance.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

Subaru?
Mazda?
I dont even see how those names could even be in the same category as AUDI.

I mean, if were going to talk about some heavy competition for the A3, I would say the BMW 130i. But that's just for the "hatch" category.

I see the A3 just being in a higher class of it's own.

WRX STI ?, whoopdy doo.........

Old 02-09-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

I guess it's all about what you are looking for in a car. The STI is entering the hatchback category now. If you are looking for performance, there are not many cars in that price category that are even close. A3 is not close in performance to the STI. The new STI is looking at 300 hp and 300tq and it will weigh only 3000lbs. Subaru has come a long way as far as interior fit and finish, but obviously, Audi has the nod in interiors and ergonomics. I would also give ride comfort to the A3 hands down. As far as FUN, STI will be the defininte winner, unless the A3 gets some performance upgrades.

My Scale:
PURE PERFORMANCE -------------------Performanc Hatch---------------------Luxury Hatch

STI

A3
Mazdaspeed3

Old 02-09-2007, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

In terms of practicality and configuration they're all close, but that's where similarities stop. After owning a WRX and almost choosing the 3, I can safely say the A3 is a different type of car altogether. I'll gladly give up extra speeding tickets for a gain in refinement and style.But for right now, even my stock A3 accelerates and handles better than my WRX did.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Another example of Audi's A3 marketing is just plain weird! get a clue!
Atomic Audi Contest

Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dcny7777

Subaru?
Mazda?

I mean, if were going to talk about some heavy competition for the A3, I would say the BMW 130i. But that's just for the "hatch" category.

That pretty much sums it up...it should not really be a comparison to those cars.The A3really seems tohave founda class of it's own. It is a little too expensive to play with the Mazda's and Subaru's, andcomparing the A3to the compact BMW's & Benzes is a little off, as offers more room and four doors. Grantedan STI will run in the 30's, but it really more fast and furious rather than refined and luxurious. German engineering just feels better.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jbrx7tt

ORIGINAL: dcny7777

Subaru?
Mazda?

That pretty much sums it up...it should not really be a comparison to those cars.The A3really seems tohave founda class of it's own. It is a little too expensive to play with the Mazda's and Subaru's, andcomparing the A3to the compact BMW's & Benzes is a little off, as offers more room and four doors. Grantedan STI will run in the 30's, but it really more fast and furious rather than refined and luxurious. German engineering just feels better.

STI costs more than an A3!!!
Base Price about $35,000

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely Love my A3 (Audi is Awesome!!), but I do enjoy occaisional track days too. The STI is a Scorcher!! There is a German car owner snobbiness that does exist however.To say that the Mazdaspeed3 and STI shouldn't even be considered in the same category is insane. (Unless you are saying that the A3 is Not a performance hatch). If you are saying that the A3 is simply a luxury hatch, then I agree. However, I consider the A3 a performance Hatch. The STI is going to be a monster performer that many current A3 owners are going to be considering come time for their next car.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:04 AM
SoCal Crew Member

If you guys read the "Subject" line on this thread, "A3 to get some serious competition in 2008", i totally disagree,

STI's are in their own class as the A3 is also in their own class, there should be no comparison, STI's has no thought of luxury like the A3's do, i'm not gonna even mention the Mazda. then again, the STI is AWD, which means less power to the wheels than Subaru reports........ with you A3 moders out there, you know you can crank out an eazy 300hp with CAI, TBexhaust and upgradeK04 turbo....... STILL for less than the base price of the STI, so there, you and and tweeked out A3 with the luxery you want, witht he performance you want, all for cheaper than an STI........

don't get me wrong, i repest the STI and all performance cars out there, but i think there should be no comparison between the STI and A3.

Quick Reply: A3 to get some serious competition in 2008