Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 HID Conversion Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:48 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 HID Conversion Installed

I finally got an HID conversion kit to work. I tried two kits and they both strobed/flickered. After weeks of trying to get them to work with a relay running power off the battery and special capacitors, all it took was VAGCOM programming. If you don't have access to a VAGCOM, try a local shop specializing in Audi or maybe your dealer would do it for you. Once you hookup the VAGCOM, go to Module 09 (Central Electronics), and set Byte 21 to value 12. My old value was 11 for Halogen and 12 is for Xenon (not Bi-Xenon). I had previously found a couple VAGCOM locations for Bi-Xenon lights and tried those, but they didn't help. I also installed the FK angel eyes headlights to get the projector lens for the low beams (don't put HIDs in stock halogen housings).The light pattern is fine. FYI - if you want the angel eyes to work, you'll have to run power to them separately since they are wired to get power from a connection in the harness that isn't used (at least not on my car). I have them hooked up and like them (those who disagree feel free to refrain from comment). If someone comes out with R8 style lights, I'd definately upgrade to those.

Headlights with everything off, only angel eyes on and HIDs onwith angel eyes:

[IMG]local://upfiles/22649/1360C0024D6145CF82D1AD79B7A03351.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22649/3B3B3B9ECFB54321A1FBB2D10D3E7C73.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22649/B4563E31B7A24069AD228A021E88DCF6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 HID Conversion Installed

What HID conversion kit did you use? And where'd you get the angel eyes?

It's looking pretty good - nice job!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: boywonder

What HID conversion kit did you use? And where'd you get the angel eyes?

It's looking pretty good - nice job!
The first kit was from AMI Motorsports and would have probably worked if I had found the VAGCOM problem. Their customer service was great, but couldn't figure out this problem but I'd order from them again. The second kit that I finally got to work was from Vision Bulbs (they have an Audi forum special discount). They tried to help me with making them work, but were not able to. I also tried the Angel Eyes from AMI, but didn't discover the power issue and returned them as defective (they probably weren't defective). I got the second set off Ebay, shipped from Germany.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 AM
1st Gear

the kit looks great btw.

how's the build quality of the housing? comparable to OEM?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mc1191

the kit looks great btw.

how's the build quality of the housing? comparable to OEM?
I wouldn't say the quality is up to OEM standardsince I had a LED bulb for the Angel Eyes out of it's socket when I unpacked the housings. I pushed it back into the socket and after a day of driving it hasn't come out. Otherwise they fit well and didn't have any problemswith a day of rain yesterday. The first set of housings didn't have this LED problem, but I returned them because I thought they were defective and didn't find out about the power issue until I got the second set of housings.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 PM

Good job!

Looks nice and the info is helpful for others. I'll add it to the info thread.

Cheers!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

I'm a complete noob to all this, so please excuse my ignorance. But did you have to buy new housings PLUS bulbs, ballasts, and igniters when doing the xenon/angel eyes upgrade, or did the AMI housings come with the lighting assemblies as well? Also, how well have the lights held up to weather, etc.? Sorry to bring this train to a screeching halt, but like many out there, I've been looking to make this upgrade as well. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: pradsz

I'm a complete noob to all this, so please excuse my ignorance. But did you have to buy new housings PLUS bulbs, ballasts, and igniters when doing the xenon/angel eyes upgrade, or did the AMI housings come with the lighting assemblies as well? Also, how well have the lights held up to weather, etc.? Sorry to bring this train to a screeching halt, but like many out there, I've been looking to make this upgrade as well. Thanks in advance!
The housings had the angel eyes already built into them and the HID bulbs, ballasts and igniters were all part of a separate kit. The lights have held up well so far without any issues.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

So:
-No issues from weather (moisture seeping into the housings, for example), wires shorting, "low beam failure" warnings from the car computer, etc.?
- Also, did you have automatic light/dark sensors for your headlamps before the mod, and if so, does that feature still work with the switch?
- Lastly, how was the fit of the housing? Was it built perfectly to spec, or did you have to make any adjustments?

Sorry for pestering you, I just want to make sure I've got all my facts before I jump into a major mod like this (I realize this isn't that big a deal, but for someone who's uneasy about even OPENING the hood of his car, this counts as a "major" mod :-p). And just so you know, you happen to have the A3 I wish I had. I got a great deal on my brilliant black, but if I could do it again it'd be Ibis White with Open Sky in a HEARTBEAT. SO. DAMN. SEXY. Anyways, thanks again in advance!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: pradsz

So:
-No issues from weather (moisture seeping into the housings, for example), wires shorting, "low beam failure" warnings from the car computer, etc.?
- Also, did you have automatic light/dark sensors for your headlamps before the mod, and if so, does that feature still work with the switch?
- Lastly, how was the fit of the housing? Was it built perfectly to spec, or did you have to make any adjustments?

Sorry for pestering you, I just want to make sure I've got all my facts before I jump into a major mod like this (I realize this isn't that big a deal, but for someone who's uneasy about even OPENING the hood of his car, this counts as a "major" mod :-p). And just so you know, you happen to have the A3 I wish I had. I got a great deal on my brilliant black, but if I could do it again it'd be Ibis White with Open Sky in a HEARTBEAT. SO. DAMN. SEXY. Anyways, thanks again in advance!
No issues once they were installed. Auto headlight feature works as normal -it doesn't care what kind of lights you have. The HID kit I installed took power from each headlight whereas some HID kits use power from the battery and aswitchhooked toone light only toknow when to send power to both lights. I think that second type is what causes the bulb failure code because the computer thinks one bulb is out when it is just disconnected. If you get this second type, I think you have to install a resistor for the wires that are disconnected so the computer thinks there is a bulb there. I don't know what size resistor, do a search and you should find it. The fit of the housings was no problem. My problem was with wiring of the angel eyes and flickering of the HIDS (see original post).

Quick Reply: A3 HID Conversion Installed