Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 HID Conversion Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 HID Conversion Installed

Thanks so much for the information. I'm surprised to hear that you were able to successfully use an HID kit that drew power directly from the headlights, as opposed to running a relay to the battery, given all the horror stories I've read from folks whose wires ended up fried or whose lights ended up flickering non-stop, or whose bulbs just simply wouldn't fire up because there wasn't enough voltage on start-up (thus requring the relay). Anyways, thanks again for your help!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

Read my original post and you'll see I too had the flickering problem (too low voltage to run the lights), but changing the VAGCOM programming took care of that. I had even tried taking power off the battery, but the relay didn't draw enough power, so the computer cut voltage to the headlight and that turned the relay off - so the flickering continued (albeit different flickering).

Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

Looks great!

How much did the setup cost you total... Well only the final stuff that is used not the original kit you got but couldn't get working.

I used to have Xenon on my old car and would love to upgrade!

Old 11-07-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: robertmrome

Looks great!

How much did the setup cost you total... Well only the final stuff that is used not the original kit you got but couldn't get working.

I used to have Xenon on my old car and would love to upgrade!
HIDs - $170, headlight housings - $319, finding out the solution to the flickering - priceless.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:33 AM
3rd Gear

Thought i would stop by. Alot of the A4 guys including myslef get there hid converion kits from vvme.com good price and a easy install. Im not sure how your light housing is but it should be a h7 size bulb it will say on top of the headlight. Its very easy plug and play install.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

======FYI - if you want the angel eyes to work, you'll have to run power to them separately since they are wired to get power from a connection in the harness that isn't used (at least not on my car)======

Hey BearTrap:
im having a really hard time figuring how to make the angel eyes to work on my Fk housing......i even called the store where i bought em because someone there told me "angel eyes are pre-wired " so no need to run any different power......is all a one single plug n Play....... i mean i see where the little plug is on the angel eyes connected to the Hi-BEAM part of it..........did u run straight power from the battery ? Advice Please.......

Old 11-23-2007, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ottoaudi

======FYI - if you want the angel eyes to work, you'll have to run power to them separately since they are wired to get power from a connection in the harness that isn't used (at least not on my car)======

Hey BearTrap:
im having a really hard time figuring how to make the angel eyes to work on my Fk housing......i even called the store where i bought em because someone there told me "angel eyes are pre-wired " so no need to run any different power......is all a one single plug n Play....... i mean i see where the little plug is on the angel eyes connected to the Hi-BEAM part of it..........did u run straight power from the battery ? Advice Please.......
Yea, I was told the same and it is BS. You can see where the Angel Eyes wants to get power on the harness, but the car doesn't use that plug in the harness. I ran a wire from the fusebox inside the car and tapped the blue wire inside the FK housings. I couldn't quickly finda switched power source under the hood that would be on whenever the car was running. Alternately, you could take power from the parking lights if you only want them on when lights are on. Be careful when hooking up to the blue wire - the angel eye bulbs pull out of their sockets easily and can be a pain to put back.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

BearTrap: As far as the HID KIT GOES......i've been lookin at the EURO DEZIGNS HID Kits.........i was using a plain EuroDezign H11 replacement w/8500 k looked great....no problem for over a year since now i switched to "Fk"..... my friends uses the same bulbs....but i have no feedback on hid overall.... they seem pretty inexpensive....... i see there's a 35 watt kit and a 50 watt kit..... im wondering the difference & will they damage the stock wiring.... or how about the warranty issues with the Dealer...... ??? cos i have like the maintenance package from my local Audi Dealer.... and i dont want them to start some BS because of the custom Hids ya know ? so ..... i could use some HINTS... as far as wattage on the HID or BRand.... where are u keepin the ballast ? cos ive seen they sell the Fk w/zenon option but im guessin could be just a ballast holder or something like it .....and how about the use of the headlight EURO Switch with daytime running lights..... do u think that would be any advantage ??? to be able to run ANGEL eyes only day time. ???

Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ottoaudi

BearTrap: As far as the HID KIT GOES......i've been lookin at the EURO DEZIGNS HID Kits.........i was using a plain EuroDezign H11 replacement w/8500 k looked great....no problem for over a year since now i switched to "Fk"..... my friends uses the same bulbs....but i have no feedback on hid overall.... they seem pretty inexpensive....... i see there's a 35 watt kit and a 50 watt kit..... im wondering the difference & will they damage the stock wiring.... or how about the warranty issues with the Dealer...... ??? cos i have like the maintenance package from my local Audi Dealer.... and i dont want them to start some BS because of the custom Hids ya know ? so ..... i could use some HINTS... as far as wattage on the HID or BRand.... where are u keepin the ballast ? cos ive seen they sell the Fk w/zenon option but im guessin could be just a ballast holder or something like it .....and how about the use of the headlight EURO Switch with daytime running lights..... do u think that would be any advantage ??? to be able to run ANGEL eyes only day time. ???
FYI – the FK housings take H7 bulbs for high and low beams in case you didn’t know.

I’d recommend the 35w kit because I don’t think the 50w kit is legal (you could get lots of tickets) and there could be heat and/or voltage issues. Also, check out Vision Bulbs. They are members and have a thread here giving a discount coupon to use at checkout that makes their kit cheaper than the kit you are looking at. I've never heard about the company you're considering, but Vision Bulbs was good to work with.

Regarding the warranty, the dealer can only refuse repair if what you did affected the failed component (e.g. an exhaust mod will not keep the dealer from repairing a fuel pump unless you did something like allow some wiring to come in contact with the exhaust pipe which could melt the wires and short out the fuel pump).

I think the FK Xenon housings have a little different optics (different projector lens), but I bought the regular housings (with projector lens) and haven’t had any problems.

I don’t know about the Euro switch, but if it causes the low beams to be used as DRLs, then they won’t work with HIDs. If you rewire the switch, you might be able to have the switch use the Angel Eyes as DRLs, but I don't know how to tell you to do that. The resultis the same as what I’ve done by wiring them to always be on – so why buy the switch?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Hey Bear Trap :
i just got home from a long day workin with the front end of the ride....... 1st of all thank you for ur advice....im gonna try those vision bulbs......
i finally got the ANGEL EYES to work..... all i did was a simple tap from EYES within the housing from the hi to low beam.... and PERFECT..... looks GREAT no wires at view.... angel eyes ON with the main switch of low beams on only........ look awesome...... i bought plain ADVANCE DISCOUT AUTO PARTS Sylvannia h7 and they look great..... to be honest.....i was kinda mad at the beginning with this FK KIT but now after seen the results ....... is awesome
this dude was parkin right in front of me on a BMW M3....we came over and said..... "THATS AWESOME......LOOK SO OEM" ....made my day .... so i didnt have to run anything from no battery or fuse box...... just plain old watt meter made it happend......im gonna try to post pictures...im new so gotta figure the picture thing ......THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.......VERY HELPFUL........

Quick Reply: A3 HID Conversion Installed