AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   A3 HID Conversion Installed (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/a3-hid-conversion-installed-74912/)

mischa3000 01-05-2008 10:16 PM

RE: A3 HID Conversion Installed

Hey Bear!
Thank you for all the above, that's great stuff! I just got my A3 and decided to install the HID kit and actually currently have the same problem you described in your first post: they'll flicker and then actually die. Unfortunately had to put my crappy halogens on again until I can figure out the VAGCOM solution you mentioned above. Do you have any tips on where I can get that done, I mean can I just walk into my local Audi dealership and ask'em to do it?
Many thanks and happy New Year everyone!

BearTrap 01-05-2008 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mischa3000

Hey Bear!
Thank you for all the above, that's great stuff! I just got my A3 and decided to install the HID kit and actually currently have the same problem you described in your first post: they'll flicker and then actually die. Unfortunately had to put my crappy halogens on again until I can figure out the VAGCOM solution you mentioned above. Do you have any tips on where I can get that done, I mean can I just walk into my local Audi dealership and ask'em to do it?
Many thanks and happy New Year everyone!

You could try, but don't be surprised if they say no or if they want to charge you a lot. If you don't want to buy your own cable (the software is free), try to find an Audi or VW club in your area and contact their members. You might search this forum for members nearby and PM them to see if they'll help.

tiptronic 02-05-2008 02:55 AM

Beartrap,

I've just acquired an FK angle eyes for my 07 A3. The seller had it on his 06 A3. I just got the package today, and I realized and based on your post, that the FKs uses H7 bulb connectors- so i assume I have to get H7 HID kit. My A3 in stock form uses H11 for the lowbeams. I imagine that the main powersource (multipin) that connects on the stock H11 headlamp housing will plug right into the Fk h7 housing? Did your A3 came with H11 stock? Also the left headlamps were loose (the components inside broke loose from the plastic sockets (adjustors) so i was able to pop them in. I gotta take a better look and compare with the right headlamp. It did scratch a bit of the inside because the edge of the main lens (the angel eye eyes) rubbed against the inside of the headlamp glass/lens. no biggie, i'll try and 'buff' it with something. i imagine that it should not 'pop out once iget the headlamps installed.

Thanks for your help and advise!!!

BearTrap 02-05-2008 10:31 AM

tiptronic,
Yes, you will need H7 HIDs for the low beams and H7s for the high beams. The multipin connector will plug right into the housings, but didn't power the angel eyes on my car since I didn't have a pin connector where it wanted power for the angel eyes. Thus, I had to run another wire for the angel eyes. I have had the angel eye bulbs pop out when handling the housings, but they seem to stay in once installed. Good Luck.

tiptronic 02-05-2008 01:01 PM

Beartrap,
thanks! that makes a lot of sense.. i was just concerned that the multipin from the car would not fit in the FK headlamp's socket--
but now it makes sense!!! thanks.

the actual innards of the headlamp (where it connects to the top adjustors) is the one that actually popped off- all 3 of them popped off the socket..but i was able to "pop" them all back. hopefully they hold up.. as for the angel eyes- i will only be having the inside circles lit, not all four.

thanks!!!!

TPE_A3 02-08-2008 03:33 AM

Guys!

Can someone totally walk me through this? I'm SOOOOO CLUELESS SORRY!

Where can I buy the whole kit? I need the whole kit and kaboodle, and then I will take it to an installer here in Taiwan. It looks so great! I'm just such a noob I can't even figure out where to order the lights, the housings, etc etc and all the other things I will need but don' t even know I need!

tiptronic 03-27-2008 01:46 AM

beartrap,

well, i'm hoping to finish my project this weekend (LEDs in side the headlamps- a la a3 cabrio/rs6/tt/new a4) also am attaching vvme HID kit (h7) to the FK housing. I'm a bit lost with the wiring for the HID.. I know that the HID kit plugs directly to the existing power source, but am a bit lost w/ the ballast. I am going to place the ballast underneat the ingress what seem like made for HID ballast underneath the FK headlamps. but did you have to bore a hole with sealant to accomodate the wire from the ballast to the inside of the headlamps? I remember when i had the passat HIDs (hella) and the rubber cover at teh back of the headlamp had a rubbe grommet to seal out moisture/rain/etc..

Thanks.. once i finish this project i will share pics.

e

BearTrap 03-27-2008 10:47 PM

My HID kit had rubber grommets with the ballast wires already wired through them like you describe for your Passat. I had to drill a hole in the headlight access door and then insert the grommet to seal the wire penetration. If your HID kit did not come with this grommet, then you'll have to drill holes for the wires and seal the holes. You might check an auto parts store to see if they have solid grommets that you could push the wire through and then seal those holes.

tiptronic 03-28-2008 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: BearTrap

My HID kit had rubber grommets with the ballast wires already wired through them like you describe for your Passat. I had to drill a hole in the headlight access door and then insert the grommet to seal the wire penetration. If your HID kit did not come with this grommet, then you'll have to drill holes for the wires and seal the holes. You might check an auto parts store to see if they have solid grommets that you could push the wire through and then seal those holes.
D'OH! I failed to notice that it did have attached rubber grommets-
i just need to bore a hole on the headlamps/cover.
My car did not come with auto lights/drl - just plain switch off, parkinglamps, andmain-on and front fogs - do you think i would still require a VAG recode? the kit is from VVME- 35w HID kit H7 6k bulbs. I'm also installing one for our 01.5 Passat glx (only came with projections) and that would be easy, since no such thing as VAG recode for light upgrade for those cars.

thanks for your help..

BearTrap 03-28-2008 07:45 PM

tiptronic,
You might need a VAG COM program change. I don't thinkthe problem was dependent on DRLs or Autoswitch. Some people don't seem to need this while others like me did and I was unable to determine why. It might be an issuewith the HIDs, not the car. There's really only one way to know - If you get the lights flickering, then you'll need the program change. If not, you're one of the lucky ones. Good Luck.