Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Is the A3 for me? Will TDI suit me? Help me out *PLEASE READ*

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 AM
1st Gear
Question Is the A3 for me? Will TDI suit me? Help me out *PLEASE READ*

Hi People,

Story of things so far….

Im changing my car at the end of June and either will be going for A3 or A4 – whatever I choose will be the 140 TDI version as economy is the only reason im changing! Im currently getting less than 20mpg and paying over £400 for road tax! Needs must unfortunately

Still undecided as to whether im going 3 or 4 but the plans will be relatively the same…

I have a few questions im hoping you can help with…
1. Will any A3 I look at have the BLB engine in? As I know they’re prone to problems?
2. Has anyone gone from a RWD petrol to a FWD diesel? Did you want to kill yourself from lack of fun? haha
3. Whether I buy a 3 or a 4 I want to get some Lamborghini Gallardo 19” alloys – would I be able to lower/space these much at all on a A3 – still flabbergasted 19s go on an A3 to be honest! They must look HUGE – any photos of this combination would be HUGELY appreciated - would these wheels seriously effect fuel economy?
4. Will any 140 I buy come with an LSD?
5. Id like to make as much “pigeon” noise as possible, with a straight through engine back single pipe single exit – will their be a lot of smoke?!
6. Are there any things to be wary of on a test drive with an A3? Anything I should look for, I will probably be buying privately as I can get a lot more for my money – so what do I need to look for? Ask?

In short, I cant wait to get an Audi! Its really exciting me and the idea of getting economy is insane lol im a serious forum head and a big time car modder so im looking forward to accessing the forums

I hope I haven’t bored you, I really appreciate any help or guidance – this will be my first diesel car!

Dan
(Seedler)

Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

What a **** forum (Y)

Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

My first Audi arrives in 3 weeks. A4s don't come with TDi in the US, so I'm getting an A3. Then maybe I can give you some straight answers. First question I have is what does BLB and LSD stand for? (Other than a Jim Morrison appetizer or a Beatles song?)

Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM
1st Gear

I just took delivery of a 2011 A3 TDI. I went for the Premium Plus package, no sport. That means I got the 17 inch rims. We test drove a sport with the 18 inch rims and the ride really suffered. I'd be nervous running 19s.

Previous car was a CLK 320. Really two totally different beasts. I have to say I really like the ride quality of the A3. Very well planted. The TDI engine is very different than a gasser, but in a good way.

As far as LSD, I think it has an electronic pseudo-LSD traction control type system. I can look at the build sheet tonight.

Ray

Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

After doing some Google searches, I think he means limited slip differential.
As for BLB, it doesn't look like that engine has been used since 2006 or 7. (Still not sure what the acronym stands for though.)

Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Texmex

Recently purchased an A-3 TDI w/Titanium Sport package and Premium Plus Stuff. The 18" wheels ride just fine on all the back roads and interstates I've been on, infact it rides better than my Mustang GT. And the gas mileage is great, averaging 35 mpg around town and 50 mpg on the highway. The mileage probably would be better if I didn't have a lead foot. And the car is alot of fun for a four-banger. I highly recommend an A-3 TDI.