Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 - oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:42 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 - oil consumption

Good evening all,

I asked my service advisor about the TSB and he replied with the following:

UNLESS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS EXIST[/align] THE TSB DOES NOT RELATE:[/align] [align=left]One or more of the following conditions may be present:[/align] • [align=left]MIL on, and one or more of following DTCs are stored in ECM data memory:[/align] ‒ [align=left]P1297 (Connection charger-throttle valve, pressure loss)[/align] ‒ [align=left]P2187 (Fuel trim bank 1, system too lean at idle speed)[/align] ‒ [align=left]P2279 (Intake air system leak)[/align][/align] • [align=left]Whistle noise, air rushing noise from engine.[/align] • [align=left]Oil leaks from oil filler cap.[/align]

Old 02-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Site Moderator

All oil consumption on the 2.0T engine comes from the faulty PCV valve design. The valve blows causing boost pressure to enter the crankcase and push your oil back into the intake when you let up on the gas. If the dealer won't change the PCV valve for you (probably won't) just buy the valve and change it yourself. If you really don't believe me, take off the hose going to the throttle body, i bet there is 1/4 quart of oil in the intake line.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Hi all,
I am back from my follow up visit to the Audi Dealer. They are still giving me the run-around. I previously had my PCV valve replaced and the engine is still burning through 1qt every 1900 miles (more this time because I drove more highway miles and perhaps the weather? who knows... (it has been hovering in the 20 degree range for the past month.)

Anyways, the dealer told me that this amount of oil consumption is within specs. Is that a valid statement? (does anyone really know the specs?)

They also went on to say that because I have been changing my oil every 5,000 miles that the engine has not "been broken in yet" (it has 25,000 miles now) This seems moreabsurd than the oil consumption comment!

auditech79, what are your thoughts? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

Old 02-19-2008, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

For a number of years now VW and Audi have been sticking to the line that one quart in a thousand miles is the threshold for which they will declare a problem. I don't know if that's still the high water mark but based upon your post it sounds like what they're saying. As for the engine not being broken in because of your 5,000 mile OCIs, yeah, that's enough BS to fill the entire interior of your car. Ewwww! [:@]

Old 04-12-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Follow up to the Pressure Regulating Valve line of BS that I was handed.......It didn't fix the problem. I'm burning through 1Q in 3000 miles and if I stomp on the gas I can see smoke in my rear view mirror, nice. The dealership told me that was normal in addition to the oil consumption! Japanese it is.........

Old 05-02-2008, 05:29 AM

Similar issue, I have a A3 2006 TDI 1.9 with 30000km, went low on oil last year before the service, and I am due service in a few week and it is low again.

This can't be normal, a car should not burn oil.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 PM

For the past near year, I have been inserting a minimum of a quart a month of sythetic in to my Engine. Thats damn more then a thousand miles a quart. Guys suggest I take it in? It doesnt leave puddles or drop oil in my garage at all. 2006 A3 2.0T

Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 PM

A quart every thousand miles is Audi's tolerance. Any more than that and they will take it seriously, otherwise they'll just blow you off. Truly a crappy thing about some of these engines. Good luck.

Cheers!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

Wow I really Feal for all of you. I check my oil every time I get gas and the last time I needed to add oil I was scheduled for my 15k service the next day. I must have really lucked out. Oh and a reminder for all of you the first 10K was in Las Vegas 120 degree heat and the next 5K was in a Montana winter with a high of 30F and a low of -38F and still didn't burn throu oil like some are saying.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:55 PM

My 2.0T has 22k miles on it. I changed my oil 2000 miles ago about two months. Last night, there goes the oil light. Sure enough the dipstick is dry. Never had that happen on any of the 20 cars I've owned over 25 years ...except for a 1990 Geo Metro w/100k miles. But I beat the crap out of that car - in fact, redefined the word"beater".

So, I'd say something isunusual about the Audi oil use.

Quick Reply: A3 - oil consumption