Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

a3 pre-wired for sat radio??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Default a3 pre-wired for sat radio??

hey guys
does anyone have an a3 and using the sat radio....
just wanna know how i can use it

can anyone help?
thanx

Old 12-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Default RE: a3 pre-wired for sat radio??

ORIGINAL: shaady1727

hey guys
does anyone have an a3 and using the sat radio....
just wanna know how i can use it

can anyone help?
thanx
I have Sirrius with my A3. You need the antenna/wire kit in order to use the SAT controls on the head unit. It is a fairly expensive item from the dealer, like $400 or so. Not sure about aftermarket companies.

Cheers!

Old 12-12-2006, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

If you already have it pre-wired it is easy, you just call Sirius and they will set it up. They will ask for your serial number (somewhere on your radio). Do you have Nav? If so, it is found in one of the screens. Basically call them and they will activate it.

If it is not pre-wired, you may have to get a radio and have installed....good luck!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:19 AM

ok im a little confused....
i know its pre-wired but im being told i need to get the receiver and install it in my trunk.....correct?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

I did not have to install anything in my car to activate, I simply had to call them and activate. I had a Sportster Replay which I used at home formerly, so for me it was a matter of switching my account to my Nav system (which is Sirius ready). I do not know the extent of all the systems they offer so I am unsure if all A3's are set up to receive or if it is an option that is installed. If it is an option, and your car does not have a Siruis ready receiver, then I would assume you would need to buy the it & have it installed separately. This includes the receiver and the antenna that comes with the Sirius car kit. The receiver would sit on your dash, not in the trunk. Your antenna would need to run from your receiver to somewhere outside the car. The power would need to be hooked up to run the receiver. Those shoud be the only three items you would need.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:57 PM

Shaddy,

Here's the deal. I don't know what radio you have in your Audi, but the good thing is that it doesn't matter. All of the Audi radio head-units are capable of displaying the SAT radio functions. IF you have purchased either the XM or Sirius radio package with your car, then all you need to do is call to have them activate the subscription. The easiest way to check is to hit the SAT button on the radio and see if you get any reception. If you DIDN'T purchase the SAT radio package, then you will NEED to purchase the XM or Sirius kit from the dealer which includes everything you need to be wired and ready to receive the signal from your head unit. Then proceed with calling the SAT company and setting up your account. Otherwise, you can always purchase an aftermarket unit from a retailer and have it connected to your stereo in a number of different ways.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Old 12-14-2006, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

they are all prewired. all head units are ready to go as well. however, if you didn't get the SAT option, you will ONLY be required to purchase the tuner. and make a few connections. it may or may not require vag-com. many mk5 vw owners are selling their sirius/xm tuners here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=816 They work in our cars.

A thread on SAT info and diy stuff: http://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/42210.phtml

Old 12-14-2006, 05:07 AM
1st Gear

i just installed it. a unit goes in the trunk, you connect a harness in the right passenger kick panel and thats it. very easy

http://mcdonst1.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!1pt6HJLQ8RUTj7GTLFugwSCA!178.entry

i bought it from porcheaudiparts.com

Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Just had the Audi Sirius installed in my trunk after Christmas. There is no aftermarket without alot of new wires and antenea. Cost $300 as stated on the Audi website, but had to contact Audi to get that price...dealer showed $500 on his computer for the part...Oh well, love it..the radio does all the work and Sirius gives you 3 months free listening for the Audi upgrade.

sloomer A3 2.0 premium, open sky, Murono green...Sirius!

Old 02-20-2007, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Sloomer - I am trying to purchase the Sirius receiver without getting screwed. Who did you contact to make the dealer drop their retail? Best I can get is $385 from a friend of a friend at the parts counter.