Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 Road Noise/Tire Feathering Solution!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 Road Noise/Tire Feathering Solution!!

I suffered like many others with massive amounts of road noise from the tires wearing strangely and feathering. I don't think it's necessarily related to the tire brand, but I'll let you know what I've done...

-Replaced my worn tires with Kumho Ecsta 4x's
-Had the tires road force balanced (not sure if this helps, but it certainly runs smooth)
-Had the alignment done by a perfectionist at the "high end" tire shop (by high end, I mean they knew their stuff and had better tools than the rest)
-I had the tires filled with nitrogen instead of compressed air. The pressure is much more consistent and doesn't fluctuate. I checked in summer and winter and the pressure was the same on a digital guage to tenth of psi
-I had all four tires filled to 38 psi. I think this is the real solution. I was always following the manual on the pressure and it's 38 psi up front and 35 psi in the rear. It doesn't seem like it should matter all that much, but it seems to have gone away. I have over 15K on these tires and still no significant amount of road noise is noticeable. I also don't see any strange feathering on the outer edges of the tread.

The only other thing that I'm doing that may be preventing it is rotations every 3K miles. It seems like the feathering may be coming from the rear on my car and when you get the rotations done frequently, it seems to prevent them from having time to build up prior to being moved to the front. Then they get worn flat on the front again. Just my theory, but it's working.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

is your method still working? i actually happened to replace my tires with kumho 4x's, and it was quiet at first. now i started to notice more road noise and some feathering. i'll try the 38 psi, but it's been really hot lately, so i'm sure the air is expanding a lot. maybe i'll try 37 psi? haha.