Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Default A3 Squeaky Brakes

So I've been hearing a lot of people complain about Audi's in general with squeaky brakes. Even those with brand new vehicles. Anyone have these problems? Or know of any similar stories?

thanks

Old 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A3 Squeaky Brakes

I have a 07 A3, 9.8k miles, no squeaky brakes yet. I know a ton of people with Audis and I havent heard of them having squeaky brakes.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:30 PM
1st Gear

I have a 08 A3 and the brakes have squeaked since it was 5 days old. Its been back to the dealer and it stopped for a couple of days but it has come right back.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM

IMHO squeeky brakes are general an indication of the driver's braking style and not so much an inherent flaw in the material. If you are always light on the brake pedal, and you let the brakes grab at stops, you run the risk over time of creating a squeeky brake situation.If the brakes and pads are bedded properly there shouldn't be a problem with squeeking.

There is a thread on this or another forum that outlines a technique forbedding innew brakes.

Essentially, what's required is to do a few repeated hard stops from about 50mph, allowing the discs and pads to heat upand season the rotor surface with afine coating of pad material.

The thread also emphasized the important of gradually releasing the pedal at the last 10' or so of your stop so that the brake doesn't grab suddenly. The reason for this is that you want the coating to be evenly created.

This technique is used to bed down the pad and rotor, but it also can be used to recoat a rotor that is unevenly glazed due to improper bedding.

YMMV.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear

i believe there is a tread that deals with this issue check the noob thread at the top of the A3 page

Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM

Betus! So what are you going to do? This is my worst fear that it will happen to my a3

Old 03-07-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

I would just take it back until they fix it right or I would complain if it wasnt getting fixed

Old 03-08-2008, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

My A3 developed squeaky breaks after about 4K. I blew them clean with compressed air and they've been quiet since. I'll do the same next time they squeak.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Do like it says in the squeeky brake thread in the noob section. Beat the **** out of them with several 60 - 5 mph "slowdowns" (do not come to a complete stop) to reseat your pads/rotors. The pads are glazed, likely from easy braking, and they need to be cleaned. I promise, it will be some of the funnest 'maintenance' you will ever do on your car.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

Unfortunately it looks like noisy brakes is a fact of life with the Audi A3 & A4. At 4k my A3 brakes started tosqueal at the slightest touch and every dog inthe neighborhood would come running. Audi cleaned the brakes at my 5k visit and warned me that the squeal may come back.
Apparently the aspestos that coated the old brakes on many models of cars is no longer safe to use (duh), but it did prevent noisy brakes. I have since complained to Audi HQ and my local dealer. In response and to my local Audi's credit, they have now cleaned (or deglazed) my brakes 3 times with no charge. Unfortunately there seems to be no solution in sight and i can only hope they develop a better brake in due time...I love my A3, but it's a bit embarrasing when im braking to a stop and sidewalkpedestrians cover their ears.[&o]

Quick Reply: A3 Squeaky Brakes