Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Is A3 suitable for 4 adults and their luggage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Is A3 suitable for 4 adults and their luggage?

I'm reserved an A3 for about a week of vacation with four adults. I sat in one, and all of the seats looked like they would be fine. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of its ability to hold luggage for four adults.

I can't find any specs other than it has 19.5 cubic feet of space. My carry-on bag is a little over two cubic feet, but I think we might want to bring at least a couple of bags that are bigger. (Plus camera bags and other hand-carry items.)

Can I get some general ideas about how this might go? And what are the dimensions (LxWxH) behind the rear seat? I'm concerned that I might need to upgrade to a bigger car.

(I only need to carry us all with our luggage for 1 or 2 hours of driving. I'm reluctant to change unless this won't work at all.)

Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Four adults, sure. Luggage for four could be tough. Have used mine for a couple of trips and three adults with luggage for the 3 day race weekend was no problem. Sounds like you may be bringing a bit more stuff packing for a week X 4 people. I would think you could stuff it all in there but do think about going with something a bit larger.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

i dont think it has 19.5 cu ft of luggage space. Maybe if you take the rear cover off.

Its max width is 40 in, max depth is 28 in and max height is 17 in.

But due to some rounding of corners at the front and sloping seatback, if you were to put a box in the trunk, the max size would probably be like 40x22x15.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the answers. I'm encouraged by the first answer, but I'm confused about the height, though. I thought the height is from floor to ceiling. That should be more than 17 inches, shouldn't it?

I was looking at a couple of dimensioned pictures, shown below (2009 model). Rounding numbers, accounting for the slant height measurement, and converting to inches, it looks like 40" wide x 32" deep x 32+" high. I know I have to consider the hatchback shape and other unseen things. But multiplying that out comes to almost 24 cubic feet, so I'm still thinking 19.5 cubic feet might be about right.

Of course, I might have luggage that is less than this in volume and the suitcases still won't fit in there together.

This is going to be at the far end of a flight and train ride from California to Europe. My frugality demands that I look at this carefully

Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

There is a hatch/trunk cover that limits the height to around 17 inches. If you take it off and leave it behind, you can put more things on top, but then it will start blocking the rear view. Also, with the slant of the window, it is not as much space. Maybe with soft luggage, you can squish things against the window.

I've had a car that had around 19 cu ft of trunk space, and this is nowhere near the size of that trunk.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Depending on how big each person's luggage is, it shouldn't be a problem without the cargo cover.

A few weeks ago, I picked up my girlfriend's parents from their out of country trip and they had a total of 2 large luggages, 2 smaller luggages, and 2 backpacks. The 2 large luggages fit fine on top of each other in the trunk and the 2 backpacks stuff on each side. The other 2 luggages couldn't fit in the trunk. So my gf's parents just sat in the back: mom in the middle seat, dad in the passenger-side rear seat and the 2 luggages on the dirver-side rear seat.