Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.
View Poll Results: A poll
A5, sell the A3!
0%
A3 and TT
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

A5 or A3 + a TT

Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 AM
1st Gear
Default A5 or A3 + a TT

Hello friendly A3ers!

Hopefully you are not annoyed by my car inanity!

The other day I realized....for the price of a new A5 here in Taiwan...I could keep my A3 and buy an additional TT.

I have 2 young kids, so obviously a 4-door A3 TDI is wickedly practical. The TT would be a fun ride for me when I'm working (80% of my driving) or the odd nights out with ....the wife of course! It would also involve an extra expense of about $6000 for insurance and parking, plus maintenance...and of course...2 cars to mod! hahahah

On the other hand, I LOVE the elegance and style of the A5. Cost of the the A3 equals A3 + TT here, but would be cheaper on insurance, parking and taxes. We **believe** we can live with the 2 doors with 2 small children though it would be a pain in the neck.

Thoughts? Barbs? Flames? All welcome!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A5 or A3 + a TT

I tried to vote, but it gave me some stupid "ASP 500 Error" error message.

Anyway, I would go with the (A3 + TT). No doubt, the A5is gorgeous, but you will eventually get over the looks.

And with two kids it is a no brainer to have a car with 4 doors at least, if not a minivan [8D]

Of course, this is my personal opinion only.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear

^ same here with the error message.

I vote a3 and TT b/c last time i checked two was better than one...but in the end it is up to you.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Both options have pros and cons. Personally I would keep the A3 and get the TT. One big advantage to this option is that you can then modify the TT without having to take in account the children's needs. I know in my situation the need to transport the family limits what can be done to the car.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Does your wife know about this??

Old 06-02-2008, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

My aunt has a new TT and ive been in it a lot. On the TT it depends how small your kids are. Im about 5'10" and theres like 0 head room in the back seat for me. I usually had to slant my head to the side to not hit the roof I could not sit straight up. I would often slam my head when the driver went over bumps and you should basicly think of it as a 2 seater because no one but small children will feel comfortable back there. The TT is a pretty nice car but id take a A5 over a TT any day. The A5 has a much better look than the TT and it is more practical for someone who has a family.

A5!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

Ditto with the error message. I would pick the TT and the A3. Best of both worlds. If I was in your shoes - that would be my choice. Additionally you are in a better position in the future should you need to liquidate one of them. I would be more of a diversified investment, if you will.

Good luck with the decision. It's a good spot to be in.
Cheers

Old 06-03-2008, 04:25 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys! I'm going to go drive a TT this week and see how it feels. Assuming I'm in love...I will aggressively look for a used one first. (See if I can get one from a guy like me...someone who only likes his toys for a few months and then moves on!)

Fusion, I totally hear you on the A5. I really do love that car! I think if I can't find a used TT..then I will just hold on a while longer and go with the A5...maybe...price difference in Taiwan is still about $17 000...nothing to sneeze at.

My oldest kid is only 2 years now...and my idea for this car is that kids won't ride in it! (Selfish I know...but I spent so much time designing my home's interior etc etc...and my two year old quickly redecorated my study with 2 minutes and a magic marker!

As I still can't get an A5 here, I'm going to try the TT against a new model 3.2 A4 sline...it shares the same frame, engine, and drivetrain as the A5 so it should give me a good idea. Alternately, I'm considering doing an 'icognito' dealer visit while I'm in California next week...but I really don't want to waste the sales guy's time. Unfortunately I can't buy a car in the US and bring it here...if I could...I would take 2...same price as 1 here! (heck, with those prices I would just go S5 and Q5...all set! ) heheheh...dreaming

If anyone here as driven the A5 and TT, your comments would be enormously helpful too!!

And, just to make the US boys feel better about $4 a gallon gas...next time you are filling up...remember...you got your car for about 1/2 the price of what a lot of people paid for it! : ) (plus we've been paying $4+ for a long time now!)

Should put a smile on your face!

Cheers everyone!! Can't wait for some In 'N Out burgers next week! mmmm mmmmm!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 AM
L7
1st Gear

C - All of the above.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:58 AM
1st Gear

Keep the A3, get a S5

Search this Thread