Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

About to place order

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
1st Gear
Default About to place order

Hey everyone...been a lurker for quite a while as I decided which car to buy...i've decided on an a3 2.0t...but am a little torn on the premium vs. sport package...was hoping to get some input...

drove a fully loaded 2.0 with the sport package (the config i'd get) for a spin, and loved it...a little worried about the ride being a little harsh on bad chicago roads...right after, took a spin in another a3 (a totally stripped down model, as the dealership didn't have any with the premium package available...no shift paddles, leather etc...)...impressions were that i felt all the same bumps, but the car tended to bounce alot and felt extremely rubbery (i drive an old 4runner, so know all about rubbery rides)...turning, the car seemed to lean very heavily into the corners...anyway..

i asked the salesguy if the suspension on the stripped down a3 i drove was the same as that on a car equipped with the premium package, and he said it was...this guy was kind of a clueless fool (he told me that the a3 with a premium package didn't have shift paddles...despite there being one sitting right inside the dealership)...can anyone shed some more light on this for me?

thanks,

the evidence

Old 10-31-2006, 08:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: About to place order

An 07' A3 should have shift paddles I believe.
But not the Aluminum paddles that the S-Line has, but the black rubber/plastic ones instead.
If anyone else can confirm, please share.

But the ride of a bone/stock 07' A3 is the same as a Premium package one.

What made me choose the Premie package was the Power Lumbar Seat.
I was tired of always using manual adjustment for all my previous car's, so this time I wasnt settling for that again. But I do like the look and feel of the Sport seating.

Also, I wasnt into all the Brushed Aluminum in the interior of the S-Line. The Premie package already had just the right amount aluminum in all the right places.

I would have perhaps opted for the S-Line only because of the Sport Suspension, but then again, I dont live in Europe/Germany with those awesome narrow and curvy roads with speed limits of whatever you want, haha.

I need more of a comfort ride and the Winter conditions here in Jersey arent helpful, so therefore the Sport suspension was a no no.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:21 AM
1st Gear

Premium does get the shift paddles, but not aluminum as theevidence187 stated. I too tried the premium, but didn't like the bounce, rubbery feel as you noted. The sport suspension was much more in line with my preferences. Yes, the premium and base suspensions are the same.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 AM
1st Gear

I struggled with the Sport and Premium decision too. I was sold on sport until I test drove one on a bumpy road and I went Premium. I like the power seat and the toned down interior. You certainly do get shift paddles with any auto transmission car. The premium makes them black. The Sport silver actually looked cheap in my opinion.

I figured if I do end up taking it to the track lots I can always mod the suspension. Truth is I think it's still sporty, but yes with more body roll. Realistically my use is frequent road trips and it will be just fine for long comfortable rides toting my gear.

I highly recommend getting the roof rails if you intend to put a rack on it. They are easier to get manufactured into the car and are very sleek, hardly noticed.

Congratulations!

Old 11-01-2006, 03:00 PM

Actually, you don't get paddles with a base dsg car. Even my salesman was surprised.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wtA3

Actually, you don't get paddles with a base dsg car. Even my salesman was surprised.
Right. You get the paddles with the addition of the Premium (black) or Sport (AL) Packages.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:41 PM

Sports package doesn't have that harsh of a ride. Remember that the suspension will soften dramatically with just a little wear. It was a no-brainer for me, but I do drive very very fast, and I don't want a "Buick". LOL

Cheers!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Depends on your particular preference of seats (sports versus premium). We had some pretty harsh roads here locally why I went with Premium. What I found interesting was how much softer the back seats were in premium A3's versus the extra stiff back seats in sports package, so you kind to have to make a decision about your passengers also. No argument that A3 has a little less corner lean with sports suspension, but my impression is that the basic suspension is still quite sporty to drive and certainly not even close to a "Buick" ;-)

Old 11-04-2006, 05:38 AM
1st Gear

We were set on a premium, but drove the s-line and loved the handling and the more aggressive look. It really came down to us not getting the
storage and power seat which we didnt care too much about.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:46 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 20gSTi

We were set on a premium, but drove the s-line and loved the handling and the more aggressive look. It really came down to us not getting the
storage and power seat which we didnt care too much about.
I wish the AudiUSA had more the UK ordering process...whew...thats quite a decision process compared to ours. Many more choices (A3, S3, A3 sportsback), many colors and various interior + equipment combinations. I also wished that you could simply add sports suspension as a low cost option to premium package like the USA A4 sedan. Like Jefferson I feel i can always mod the suspension if my driving habits change. (currently long daily drives on the Freeways)

Quick Reply: About to place order