Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

After cutting cable to cell phone holder thing battery dead car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 03:37 PM
1st Gear
Default After cutting cable to cell phone holder thing battery dead car wont start

Good afternoon, I am in London UK. I was just about to take a trip to the country when my car wouldnt start. It is a 2001 Audi A3 Petrol turbo.

I am really bad with cars, and did not know what was wrong with it. I Have had it a few months and it is a very good car, no problems.

Here is what happened, The car had this cell phone holder thing attached to the stereo, and It looked kind of silly, so I unscrewed the phone holder thing bit, and Chopped the cable that plugged into it and hid it under some paneling under the glove box. I drive it ok that night, but then did not drive it for 36 hours.

When I got in the car, it would not turn over, and when I unlocked it with button on the key ring the indicators would not flash. Also the locks came up super slow and weak style.

The windows kind of went up and down super slow too. I am now back from the country and the battery is toally dead.

Do you guys have any idea what that cord cutting could have done to the electrics, or a fuse or drain the battery? How can I fix this should I join the skinny wire and the fat wire together? Can I jump start this car normally?

any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't really know where to begin.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

Without a wiring diagram it hard to say what cutting the wires could have done. There is the possibility that the ends of the cut wire are shorting out to each other and draining the battery, but it would seem a fuse would have blown if that happened.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

if you find the original cable that was tucked under, you might find all the battery's juice having flowed to the end of that cable and they all have nowhere to go. You could split the cable up and find out which one of those cable contains all the juice and plug it back to the battery or lighter socket so that they could flow back to the battery.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 AM
1st Gear

Thank you very much for your help.

I pulled out the wire from under the panel. I don't think the wires are touching. How do I know which wire contains power and is sucking me dry?

I have an electrics manual for this car - am I able to attach it to a post?

I am going to charge the battery tomorrow

Old 09-13-2012, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

OK update - I know the culprit

I bought a jump starter battery kit thing. It was rubbish it didnt work at all.

I then got a huge mercedes taxi to jump start me.

Drove around for two hours.

(1) the clock was reset as battery 100 percent empty
(2) the stereo was code locked

I then unlocked the stereo using the Audi code on card.
Now the stereo says TELEPHON and I cannot change it to radio or tape or anything.

What must have happened is that when the cable to the mobile phone holder was cut, it broke the circuit making the battery send current to the phone. I know need to figure out how to disconnect the phone cabling from the stereo and or the battery. Some dude suggested removing some of the fuses that sit in the little black box ontop of the baterry until the TELEPHON disappears. Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

Same problem ! No clear solution though

Please Help How to remove "Phone" from Concert stereo