Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Airborn in an A3

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 10:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Airborn in an A3

Hey guys,

The other day I found a nice backroad and proceeded to open up my A3. I got it up to about 110, give or take, and slowly let it come down to a normal speed. I don't know exactly how fast I was going at the time, but it was somewhere under 80 and above 50, give or take, and I hit this hill and the car lifted off the ground. Im not sure if both the front and rear tiers lifted, but I'm pretty sure they did. I came down and there were no crunches or cracks or other nasty sounds; it just hit the pavement and kept going the way it was. When I pulled over to collect myself, I looked under the car and noticed there was a nice amount of scraping right under the front clip. Its impossible to see unless you pop your head under the car, but its there nonetheless...like it seems as though the bottom of the front clip just kissed the surface of the road when it came down (although, again, I didn't hear anything when it touched down).

I was wondering if this could have done any potential damage to the suspension, or anything else for that matter. I'm not noticing anything, but I'm paranoid about these things. I wont be driving like that in the future, and, in truth, I didn't realize I was going as fast as I was until I looked down at the speedo. As far as I can tell, everything is okay except for a few scraps on the plastic under the car, which I can live with. However, I don't know how a car would react to flying off the pavement. I see rally cars do it all the time, but this is no rally car...

Old 05-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Default RE: Airborn in an A3

That's cool! Did a Ferris Bueller in your Audi!

You must have been truckin along pretty good to get the 3400lbs+ airborne. I don't see any potential damage the would have occurred that you wouldn'd have already noticed other than the alignment may have moved slightly. Too bad you didn't have someone there is a digicam. Okay, now you will have to do it again and have someone there with a digicam! Do it for all of your A3 buddies! j/k

Sounds like fun! Imagine if you'd hit that hill at the 110 mark? You might have gotten too much air, smashed the suspension on impact and lost control of the vehicle. Much less fun.

Cheers!

Chef

Old 05-29-2006, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

Yea, now that I think back on it, the best I can say is that I was going below 100. This was actually the second time I did it on that stretch of road. The first time wasn't very monumental...the front end, and MAYBE the rear, came off and then was right back on. This second time, that Im refering to, I was in the air long enough to let out a loud WOOOOO! before I came back down. But like I said, no noises, and absolutly zero loss of control.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:28 AM
SoCal Crew Member

here's a tip for all speeders

DON'T GO OVER 100 MPH UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT STREET LIKE THE BACK OF YOUR HAND!!!!!!!!!.........

aw shiat.... is that a new vein on the back of my hand?

POWERUSER, try hitting 130 on your A3, it rides nice and smooth, did you get the sport or prem package?

Old 05-30-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

sport package, baby

Old 05-30-2006, 04:54 PM
SoCal Crew Member

you gotta put some pictures up

Old 05-30-2006, 06:20 PM

I airboned my car like a 3 months ago, about 30 to 50 cm up and 5 meters in length. it was awsome, I felt as my *** is in space then been spanked.
then I hit a hill suspesion compresed and jumped right back without that anoying wigling. Strong suspesion.
and my car is old.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

Grin....shows you cant put these A3's down. Just have the wheel alignment and balancing checked and doubt you have damaged the suspension. The A3 really sticks to road like glue at high speeds and now we know she can do some low flying as well.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

If anything, just upgrade to KW V2. That's what i did. Check it out at www.969motorsports.com