Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Almost an A3 sedan owner; a couple of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Almost an A3 sedan owner; a couple of questions!

Hey there

I sold my car a couple of weeks ago and have been in the market for a slightly used one for a while now. I finally narrowed down my choices to either an Audi A3 sedan or a BMW 316i but I am leaning towards the former. Unfortunately, prices in Egypt have boomed because the Egyptian pound is declining and we only have small engines in Audi vehicles (at least any model less than a Q7), which is why I am starting this thread.

The car comes fully equipped with a panoramic roof, Xenon adaptive headlights, etc. and a 1.4 TFSI engine. I'm not 100% sure but I believe it is the lowest 1.4 producing only 125hp. My question is, would a remap actually improve it? Will I notice any difference? I always heard that turbocharged engines perform much better than remapped, at least better than a naturally aspirated engine would.

The problem is that 95 octane is extremely overpriced and not even of good quality here (Benz has been facing that problem for a while now) so I'm forced to use 92 octane, which is acceptable by the 1.4 TFSI although not the best for it, so would remapping the engine while using 92 octane destroy it or at least shorten its life?

Another product I read about is the RaceChip Response Control which supposedly improves the throttle response and the delay from when you press the gas pedal till the car actually starts accelerating. THAT definitely sounds like a good, "safe?" option instead of the remap.

I'd like to hear your opinions about it, guys. Should I just avoid doing that altogether or should I take the risk?

I previously owned a SEAT Leon 1P1 (2012) and I always faced problems with the DSG gearbox; I had the mechatronics replaced at 50k kms and I'm pretty sure the gearbox itself might die soon; sure, it is covered under extended warranty since it's a factory issue, but waiting months till the part arrives is a huge hassle. I know that the Audi has a gearbox called "S-Tronic" but I read that it's basically a DSG with a different name. Is that true?

Thank you!