Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Anyone put HID's in their A3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Default Anyone put HID's in their A3?

Hey all-
After looking around on the A4 forum a little bit, I noticed that maybe 15-25% of the members have an aftermarket HID kit in their car. When I bought my A3, I was on a budget and couldn't spring for the xenons. Has anyone here made the headlight upgrade? How hard was it? What product did you go with?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:50 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Anyone put HID's in their A3?

I am wondering as well.
OR
Has anyone tried just the 35 watt 5000K or 6000K bulbs and ballasts in the OEM lens assembly ?

Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 AM
1st Gear

I don't know about the HID conversions - I think they're pretty expensive.

But here's another option I came across - A3 Projector Headlamps that are only $440.

http://www.ngpracing.com/Merchant2/m...audia3headlamp

Old 11-13-2006, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

I emailed a guy from ultrabrightlights.com to get advice on what type of lights to get for the A3, I'll let you know his responses.. He hooked up my friend who has an evo 9 and it looks as close to Xenon's as ive seen.

I too am looking for HID's, was a bit dissappointed with my A3 not having Xenons too, I asked if they could install it at Audi but they said its far too complicated because Xenon lights auto adjust as you go round corners.... so HIDs are the only real alternative i think.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: syndrome69

Xenon lights auto adjust as you go round corners.... so HIDs are the only real alternative i think.
Xenon and HID are the same thing High Intensity Discharge lamps contain Xenon Gas hence the interchangeability of names.

See this article: http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/24032006/45/ukiedata-0.html

A3 with Halogen rated 4 stars
A8 with Xenon projection rated 5 stars and #1 overall

also read this thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?...how&id=2924140

Old 11-13-2006, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

Well what i meant is that there is a big difference between the Xenons you get from Audi as opposed to aftermarket bulbs.. and Audi told me it is too complex to fix their type of Xenons to cars (like my 2006 A3) that already have halogen bulbs

Old 11-13-2006, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

I have not found a HID lens and light kit yet. There is probably a fixed or self leveling kit somewhere out there without the adaptive/cornering feature but I have yet to fine it.
One would think a OEM HID lens assembly would work as long as you didn't care about the cornering system (installed as a straight ahead only system)

Are you doing this for performance (live/drive in very dark environments with long distance vision a plus) or just looks.

If you are looking for more light, you might try using some of the European Bulbs like the Phillips Vision Plus or GE Megalight Plus:
http://www.autolamps-online.com/halogen/index.htm

I have been using the Phillips Vision Plus in my Hella Projection lamps on my B5 Passat for years and love them. I don't give a crap about the HID look... I just want better light.

**** NOTE **** the pricing on auto-lamps online is in British Pounds.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 AM
1st Gear

speaking of aftermarket bulbs... will this void Audi's warranty?

Old 11-13-2006, 08:59 AM
1st Gear

If the bulbs were to blow up or the ballast catch on fire I would say yes. But as the replacement bulbs are 35w and generate less heat, as long as the wiring job was done well how would it?
It only "Voids" the warranty if the non factory part or its installation causes the problem. So if the wiring was set on the manifold and started a fire... that would void things. But if you install the lights and the radio stops working and there is no correlation then no.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

so if i show up at the next service with new HIDs they wont say right we're cancelling your warranty then?