Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi a3 2006 electricity problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 02:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi a3 2006 electricity problem

Hello Audi lovers,

I have faced an odd problem. after two weeks I came back home and I tried to start my car but it is not possible to do that. Seems that all the electricity in the car isn't working, first of all it did not unlocked by remote keys click, so i had to put a key into doors hole and unlock it(by the way only one doors unlocked, other stayed locked - that means central locking system is not working as well) , then i tried to turn ignite on but nothing worked - it was all black screen, and finally i tried to start it and still nothing happened. I tried to start it with wires from other car but it did not work as well.

Any ideas where is the problem? please offer some sollutions

thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2016, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like the battery has failed or there is a current draw on the battery when you left it last. Any chance an overhead lamp was left on or something like that?
Modern vehicles have significant electrical demands and need a reasonably charged battery for normal operation. Trying to run the engine with it's electronics demanding power and a discharged battery trying to draw maximum charge current could demand more electricity than the system can provide.
If the battery was dead or in a very low voltage condition, do not try to run the engine (after a jump start) to charge the battery. Use a battery charger to charge the battery and verify it will take a charge and not go flat right after removing from the charger. The OEM battery in my A3 failed rather suddenly. Then begin troubleshooting the problem if it is not the battery itself. A volt ohm meter will be very useful. Then start the car and make sure the charging system is working. You can then start looking for any parasitic drain if a problem still remains.

edit: I should have started with making sure the battery terminal connections were tight and clean. If the battery is good and still no dash display check the main fuses in the big fuse box next to the battery.

Last edited by mattymo; 05-08-2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added thought