Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi Alarm Problems (Factory Fitted)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Default Audi Alarm Problems (Factory Fitted)

Hi Folks.

Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if i make any errors in posting or general forum etiquette.

I've just bought a standard 1999 1.6 A3 (only 30k on the clock!!!) and the alarm doesn't seem to be functioning properly.

Basically, the alarm doesn't make any noise when it is activated. I have set it off a couple of times accidentallyby leaving a window open but when i returned to the vehicle, the indicators were going off but there was no noise being created. Should the alarm be connected to the horn?

I have a Haynes manual (british DIY service manual) for the specific model and age of car but there is nothing in there about the alarm, not even the location of the main unit.

I've checked fuses but they're fine. Can anyone help me with what the problem could be? Where the main unit for the alarm system is so i can check it to see if there are any obvious problems (loose wiring, bad connections etc).

Id really appreciate the help, Cheers

Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Audi Alarm Problems (Factory Fitted)

I cannot remember back to my 1998 A3, however I now have a 2002 A3 and the alarm unit is positioned in the boot behind the panel on the passenger side. It is behind the light clusters and will probably be wrapped in foam, the unit is also the central locking pump.

In mine the alarm does not actiavte the horn, the noise comes from alarm unit and sounds pretty much like a microwave beeping! When the alarm is activated or deactivated there is no noise from the unit, just the hazards flash a few times.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:18 PM

the alarm making a noise when activated was an option depending on where your from ( noise abatement society ) but it can be activated with VAG so its not a problem

Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Just to clear up, by 'activated', i meant setting off the alarm as apposed to arming it but regardless, it still doesn't make any noise. I've found the unit but its in with the sub-woofer and a after factory cd disc changer that was put in so it'll take an afternoon. I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks again.