Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi hill hold assist system in the A3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 02:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi hill hold assist system in the A3

I was reading in the manual about this and trying to find more information but was wondering if anyone on the forum has this option or feature turned on. is this something that can be enabled? and is it only on dsg cars? thanks

Old 07-10-2006, 03:08 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Audi hill hold assist system in the A3

Only on DSG and its an OK feature. But if I had the choice, I'd turn it off since its a little too sensitive.

I could make this feature turn on it the avg driveway. All it does is basically lock the breaks until the torque of the engine overcomes the brake force applied by this feature. The bad thing is that it takes quite a bit of torque to overcome. Also, once you adapt to the throttle and become one with it, everytime this feature turns out it messes you up. I guess hill assist is meant for the noobs of driving.[:-]

Old 07-10-2006, 04:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Do I have it?

I'm guessing I don't have this option since I always role backwards on hills. Is this an option that I can activate or is it just there or not there?

Old 07-10-2006, 05:02 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Do I have it?

I think the way to activate it is by pressing the brakes twice in a row before you want to put the gas on. I remember a few times I was at a light and anticipating green a little too early causing me to hit the brakes a second time. This activated hill assist and I really had to flutter the gas to get it unlocked.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

It is a pretty wierd thing to get used to. I really want to understand it more since I live in SF, and the hills are retarded there. It worked great this weekend for me, but you are right, it takes a bit of gas to overcome the brake. I think to engage it, you Hold the brake for 2 seconds... if you let go and brake again quickly you will notice the pedal is harder to push down. I think it is on in that case.

I am still not used to it.

moo

Old 11-19-2006, 05:31 AM
1st Gear

Hi! I too live in a hilly city and I LOVE the hill hold assist. Did you know it works in both forward gear and reverse? I find the best way to use hill assist is allow it to release the brakes on it's own rather than trying to "overcome the brake force".
I don't quite know the mechanical workings of the system but when you brake on a hill the car seems to sense an impending roll-back and the brakes are engaged when the brake pedal is depressed and held. To release the brakes simply lift your foot off the brake pedal for about 2 to 3 seconds before you plan on rolling again. I feather the gas pedal so that the car remains stationary as the brakes are released and that always results in a smooth accelaration from a hill stop.
Once I figured out that the brakes will release on their own it didn't take long to get used to using the system smoothly.
Good luck!
BVaudi.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

Very interesting info on Audi Hill hold assist, can hardly wait until I get my A3 to try in on some steep street in SF!

Old 11-21-2006, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Hi John
Once you get used to it,....I think you'll like it. It works just great on very steep grades.
Enjoy your new car!

Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Since this feature is only available on DSG cars, which have only two pedals anyway, why not just use your left foot to hold the brake on steep hills or driveways. Granted the brake pedal on the A3 is set a bit further right than most brake pedals on "automatic transmission" cars, but still...

I think this feature may be more useful if you are a stoplight that is taking forever to turn green.

But I have trouble turning on this feature.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

I agree with you that the hill-hold feature would be more useful on the standard transmission models but I still find the feature very nice to have on the DSG cars.
While it's true that you could use your "Left foot" to hold the brake (I've never really liked to do that -too clumsy- !) or you could use the old heel and toe method -as with a standard transmission- but the hill-hold is much smoother and easier to use once you get used to it. (As you say the brake pedal is set farther back and that makes the heel and toe method more difficult).
I think the biggest problems people have with the hill-hold feature is that the system "turns itself on" and the only input the driver needs to do it bring the vehicle to a stop on a hill by depressing the brake pedal. The car senses that you are on a hill and it engages the brakes. Once you lift your foot off the brake pedal the hill-hold feature realeases after about 3 seconds. All the driver has to do it anticipate the release and the car will accelerate nicely without having to power against the brakes.

As far as stopping the car from rolling at a long light is concerned, (if you get tired of holding the brakes with your foot),......the best method is to use the hand brake! The hill-hold can still be activated by depressing the brake pedal again while releasing the park brake.