AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Audi USA Web page now says 2008 Audi A3! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/audi-usa-web-page-now-says-2008-audi-a3-60510/)

JohnS1 04-13-2007 09:40 PM

RE: Audi USA Web page now says 2008 Audi A3!

ORIGINAL: monomyth
I doubt it. Unless US gets TDI too, and I doubt it not only because I got my 2007 A3 this week :)
If you check out the discussion concerning the USA 2008 Jetta SportWagen the 2.0 TDI is coming for VW, so expect it for the A3 also. After all the 3.2 V6 is a VW design used in the A3 and TT.

falcompsx 04-13-2007 09:41 PM

if the US got a TDI quattro....that would be a tempting option. chip it and run it on mcd's french fry oil!

monomyth 04-13-2007 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: falcompsx

if the US got a TDI quattro....that would be a tempting option. chip it and run it on mcd's french fry oil!
canola oil ftw!

But what bugs me is this, if A3 does not sell well (and it does not if you compare it to golfs) why would they introduce a new engine model? So people will have more choice of what not to buy?
Besides it seems like the government is really trying to push E85 and not diesel....

falcompsx 04-14-2007 02:42 AM

ORIGINAL: falcompsx

canola oil ftw!

But what bugs me is this, if A3 does not sell well (and it does not if you compare it to golfs) why would they introduce a new engine model? So people will have more choice of what not to buy?
Besides it seems like the government is really trying to push E85 and not diesel....
true, i know VW is pushing the TDI motors to be introduced to CA, but who knows if audi will do the same and if so what models. I'm suprised the A3 doesnt sell well, it really boggles my mind. tons of power, lots utility value, handles great, very solid construction, even good gas mileage.... Its too bad E85 is what the gov. is pushig because i really see more potential in diesel technology.

olivier 04-14-2007 04:34 PM

The problem with diesel is that the market was artifically created by [European] government who decided to tax diesel less than regular gasoline. The engine that come out of europe (especially BMW) are incredible but they are coming under fire for not being as nature-friendly. They do use less fuel and are getting very quick but unless you drive a truck, a big truck, I do not see the point in the US where the price is as expensive and sometimes more expensive. On top of that, diesel engines are usually more expensive. There are other technologies such as hybrids that show more promise. Maybe we should go to cane sugar like Brazil?

mikheil 04-14-2007 07:35 PM

I'm suprised the A3 doesnt sell well, it really boggles my mind. tons of power, lots utility value, handles great, very solid construction, even good gas mileage....
several reasons i can think of;
- pricey (for a lot of people) for a small hatchback.
- not a whole lot of demand for subcompact cars in the US (yet) but with the high gas prices that's slowly changing.
-i'destimate thatwhen people think of buying an a3 at 30k and see the a4 is only a couple of grand more they would want to go for the bigger car.
- gas mileage is not better than other similar subcompacts

i'd say we are a small breedthat loves the handle, power, etc of a hatch back combined with the elegance of an audi.

cuski 04-14-2007 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: olivier

The engine that come out of europe (especially BMW) are incredible but they are coming under fire for not being as nature-friendly. They do use less fuel and are getting very quick but unless you drive a truck, a big truck, I do not see the point in the US where the price is as expensive and sometimes more expensive. On top of that, diesel engines are usually more expensive. There are other technologies such as hybrids that show more promise. Maybe we should go to cane sugar like Brazil?
The new generation diesel reduced emissions by 90%. When you take that in consideration, as well with production costs, and fuel consumptions... hybrids don't seem like such a good idea anymore.

Read up: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/04/v...en-tdi-engine/

JohnS1 04-14-2007 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mikheil

I'm suprised the A3 doesnt sell well, it really boggles my mind. tons of power, lots utility value, handles great, very solid construction, even good gas mileage....
several reasons i can think of;
- pricey (for a lot of people) for a small hatchback.
- not a whole lot of demand for subcompact cars in the US (yet) but with the high gas prices that's slowly changing.
- i'd estimate that when people think of buying an a3 at 30k and see the a4 is only a couple of grand more they would want to go for the bigger car.
- gas mileage is not better than other similar subcompacts

i'd say we are a small breed that loves the handle, power, etc of a hatch back combined with the elegance of an audi.

Opinions involving USA market only
- Not pricey...ever you ever ventured into BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, and seen typical pricing...Audi's are still a bargain for the technology features, solidness of build, and safety awards. If you are used to a cheap car you get what you pay for.
- In high density urban areas like SF bay area, LA for example, the demand for small hatchbacks is very high. Audi has targeted these areas for increased marketing.
- 30K for a car is not much these days, the stock A4 is noticeably less aggressive on the road versus a stock A3. If I wanted to spend slightly more I get a TT over a A4 any day...its just the TT is not a designed for carrying four persons, but boy what a fun ride. A4's don't offer DSG...reason I didn't buy an A4. The only reason the A4 has it all over the A3 currently has to do with no Quattro option for 2.0T configuration. Hatchbacks BTW are increasing in popularity versus sedans again in the USA. You notice this on all the new cars that young upscale professionals are buying in parking lots. Yes there are still a majority of sedans out there, but as you say the price of gas is killing usage of large trucks and SUV's so people are investigating smaller hatchbacks.
- Hmmmm, I find the city mileage of 25 mpg quite impressive for the 2.0T FSI performance. How many similar subcompacts have similar performance? (Other then VW)

chief 04-14-2007 10:15 PM

Interestingly Diesel is cheaper in California right now than regular Gas (at least in LA).

It might be true, that taxation on Diesel is less in Europe, but yearly taxation on the car (DMV fee) is much higher on a Diesel.
At least in Germany you have to drive about 20000-30000 km a year to make up for the higher taxation through cheaper gas prices.

I can only second what others said before, that the latest Diesel technology is indeed very clean. There are particle filters that reduce particle emissions considerably.
I think it makes more sense to invest in Diesel technology than hybrid technology at this point, maybe a combination of both is the future...

olivier 04-14-2007 10:48 PM

I stand corrected - thanks for the info cuski - I have been away from europe too long I guess.
To be honest, everytime I start the A3 it sounds like a TD, is that just me?