Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

AWE Gauge Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear
Default AWE Gauge Impressions

Well I just finished my AWE boose gauge install and it only ran 7 hours over the AWE estimated install time of 1.5 hrs. I'll make this as brief as I can:

Install:

Not terribly difficult, but definitely time consuming. AWE's install instructions were terrible. They were too general and didn't include pictures of many steps of the install. I downloaded a DIY from Fourtitude that was far more detailed, with much better pictures. Anyway, other than the overall pain of pulling the battery and my CAI, the harder parts were installing the "t-fitting" and adding the new air filter.

The t-fitting replaces a small (1.5") tube coming from the manifold, which routes air to the gauge. Replacing the part isn't that big of a deal, but AWE's replacement is easily twice the length of the orig tube. Cut to fit? Force the fit? Wrong part? Who knows since AWE's instructions didn't mention a thing other than "replace". Things like that drove me nuts. The air filter was the worst part though. This is a little filter that is spliced into the new hose line for noise dampening. Whatever - splice in - no problem. You would think, except the size of the fittings are too big for the hose. Squeezing these little hose ends on this filter took me FOREVER. Again, the instructions just tell you to splice it in. That's it. I ended up having to oil the thing up to make it work. When things fit so tightly (poorly), it would be cool if the instructions mentioned that this was a tight fit, or suggested lubricating the fittings. Something!

Performance and looks:

After the marathon install, I was happy to see that the boost readings were where they should be (I was actually happy my car started at all after all the parts that had to be removed). Having said that, I have read numerous reviews on the AWE gauge, many of which compliment the OEM look of the gauge - especially at night. Maybe something changed with the new generation gauge, because this thing looks the farthest thing from stock. It's much brighter than the rest of the gauges. Even the white is slightly more blue than the stock white light. I'm really glad I didn't mount it in the center vent as it is distracting enough on the far left.

Finally:

It's only been in for an hour, so my bitterness after an entire day in the garage may be influencing my review. I was really hoping for something that blended well with the interior lights - this is not it. The needle moves, so at least I can diagnose any leaks. Overall, it seems to function as it should, it's a clean mount in a good location - just bright as hell. Maybe someone can jump in with the first gen model and confirm that something may have changed with the new one.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: AWE Gauge Impressions

Do you have the link to the Fourtitude instructions?
Also when wiring it did you put your dash lights at full brightness when you attached it to the power controls so that when dimming your gauges it dims as well? I've had to do that with alot of radio installs to keep from having this beem of light coming at you.
Also this is off topic but which Nspd CAI did you get? and how do you like it?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

wow, thats interesting, I keep calling my local shop for these and they still haven't received an order they placed weeks ago.

now I find that the light is too bright... has anyone had success with dimming the light?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:46 AM

I haven't worked on dimming the gauge light, and I also noticed it seemed really bright after the install. Not sure if it has changed at all over the last two years, but I don't notice it being any different or distracting anymore at all. It has come in very handy at diagnosing a couple different problems that have happened so far as well. I don't think there is a better gauge out there now that blends the stock look and functionality like the AWE. My only other complaint with this gauge is that it reacts too slowly, so I played with the inlet dimensions to obtain a faster gauge that doesn't buzz from overload.

Cheers!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

Also when wiring it did you put your dash lights at full brightness when you attached it to the power controls so that when dimming your gauges it dims as well? I've had to do that with alot of radio installs to keep from having this beem of light coming at you.
My lights were at full brightness when I installed it. Haven't tried dimming it.

Also this is off topic but which Nspd CAI did you get? and how do you like it?
I have the P-flow. If you like a little intake and DV noise to let you know you're alive, I recommend it. If you're looking to keep the cabin as quiet as possible - steer clear.

It has come in very handy at diagnosing a couple different problems that have happened so far as well. I don't think there is a better gauge out there now that blends the stock look and functionality like the AWE. My only other complaint with this gauge is that it reacts too slowly, so I played with the inlet dimensions to obtain a faster gauge that doesn't buzz from overload.
I agree on the look of it Chef - it's definitely clean. I've alread gotten a ton of compliments on it. They may have fixed the reaction with the new model (30 psi max) as I don't notice any delay. No overload either.

After a day of cooling off and many compliments on the look of the gauge, I'm feeling a little better about the time spent on the install. Soon that will be forgotten and I'll just have a good looking (but bright) little guage.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

When did you place your order?? I ordered mine months ago and still haven't received it

Old 04-25-2008, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

When did you place your order?? I ordered mine months ago and still haven't received it
Don't want to bum you out, but I ordered it at the beginning of April and got it within a week.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3756175

Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 AM

I installed my AWE boost gauge about 2 years ago. At the time I was concerned about it being brighter than the other gauges, I considered finding a way to dim it (maybe a resistor?) and was going to look into it. Never did, and now I've just gotten used to it.