Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Best deal on an A3 right now? 2007 or 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Best deal on an A3 right now? 2007 or 2008?

Well I'm about to join the ranks as a proud S-Line A3 owner, but I'm stuck on whether to get a used '07 or a new '08. I'm in the bay area, so there are a few dealership to choose from. Royal Motors told me that I'd have a hard time finding an '07, but Rector lists around 10 on their site....And I saw 3 at Oakland Audi (test drove one). Also, I'd like the premium sound package, but I haven't been able to find any '07s with it (probably because the majority are loaner cars with barebones options?). Since it's the end of the year, I'm assuming dealers will be pushing to get rid of inventory? Though I'm not sure if this works out to make the 07s or the 08s a better deal.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether a 2007 or 2008 would be a better choice. What would you go for? I'm trying to stay around $30k, so that may limit my options as well.

Thanks in advance! This forum is great!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Default RE: Best deal on an A3 right now? 2007 or 2008?

You obviously go for the best deal on the car that has the options you desire. Common sense would tell you that the 2007's would be cheaper, but who knows? If you are stuck on a nice sounding stereo, don't let the premium sound option limit your decision. Personally, I don't think my Bose system is all that much greater than the standard.

Good luck and welcome.

Cheers!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Personally, I don't think my Bose system is all that much greater than the standard.
I'd even say that the Bose system may be worse then stock (Bose Symphony came on my CPO '06) because of several characteristics it forces on you, like the non-defeatable variable volume and over-boomy bass. My salesman even said that the stock system was as good as Bose. I also understand that upgrades to a Bose system are more difficult then the stock system. Yes, there is a 'subwoofer' - all 5" of it. I've disconnected mine.

IMHO, the biggest improvement on the '08's is a power driver's seat in the S-Line.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dfrost

Personally, I don't think my Bose system is all that much greater than the standard.
I'd even say that the Bose system may be worse then stock (Bose Symphony came on my CPO '06) because of several characteristics it forces on you, like the non-defeatable variable volume and over-boomy bass. My salesman even said that the stock system was as good as Bose. I also understand that upgrades to a Bose system are more difficult then the stock system. Yes, there is a 'subwoofer' - all 5" of it. I've disconnected mine.

IMHO, the biggest improvement on the '08's is a power driver's seat in the S-Line.

Wow, I must say I'm quite glad you mentioned this. Being a musician, the audio setup in a car is quite important to me. I know Bose is just another word for overpriced mediocrity, but I thought it would at least be better than the stock system...good to know that that's not the case. I was also worried about the Bose system being difficult to upgrade...thanks for confirming that . Concert stereo it is!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

I just bought an '08 because I found that it was easier to find the car with the exact options I wanted and I found a dealer willing to match the prices being offered on close-out '07's... I found that dealing with the internet sales managers and letting them know I was shopping around really helped me get a decent price...

I'm no musician, but I have the regular stereo with the Ipod adapter option and it is pretty damngood for a stock stereo system. I think if you are really after a high-end system you will need to go aftermarket with Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, or Polk Audio speakers and a high quality amp.

just my 2 cents...

Old 12-14-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

Wow, I must say I'm quite glad you mentioned this. Being a musician, the audio setup in a car is quite important to me. I know Bose is just another word for overpriced mediocrity, but I thought it would at least be better than the stock system...good to know that that's not the case. I was also worried about the Bose system being difficult to upgrade...thanks for confirming that . Concert stereo it is!
hey im a musician too...... and i almost trade my car in just to get the bose system cos when i bought mine they only had a few non bose in stock and everyone here is right....... is not as good as you would think........

i think im gonna sell my car....so let me know

Old 12-15-2007, 09:35 AM
2nd Gear

IMO the Bose system isn't any more difficult to upgrade than the standard system.

Bose = 4 line outs from the head unit, all 4 speakers + 1 "subwoofer" are driven off the amp.

Non-Bose = 2 speaker-level outputs + 2 line outs from the head unit, front 2 speakers driven off the head unit, rear 2 speakers + sub driven off the amp.

Actually, I think the non-Bose system is more of a pain -- if you retain the factory amp it is a b*tch tuning all of the speakers from an aftermarket head unit, plus you can't control the sub independently from the rear speakers.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:53 AM

I just bought an '06 with high miles (65k), but in otherwise perfect condition with the Premium package and Open Sky for $16.5k US. If you're patient, and do NOT buy from a dealer (ripoff!), you should be able to get a very nice, low mileage '07 for the mid to high 20s, depending on options. That's if you can find one...there aren't many coming off lease yet.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BAMF
Actually, I think the non-Bose system is more of a pain -- if you retain the factory amp it is a b*tch tuning all of the speakers from an aftermarket head unit, plus you can't control the sub independently from the rear speakers.
So does that mean that there's a way to control the sub indepedently on a Bose system?

If so, I'd love to know about it - nothing like that I've found with my Bose Symphony system (other then just disconnecting the sub).

Old 12-15-2007, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: dfrost

So does that mean that there's a way to control the sub indepedently on a Bose system?
No, there's not a seperate channel for the sub (FL, FR, RL, RR). Any adjustments you make affect all of the speakers. Also, I think there was some mention here that when you change the volume the Bose head unit dynamically alters the EQ. Some people don't like that 'feature.'

Quick Reply: Best deal on an A3 right now? 2007 or 2008?