Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?

I'm gonna echo the opinion that BMW priced the 1-series too high. Too far off from other hatches -- the A3 is pushing it already -- and they are just going to compete against the 3-series with this.

RWD > FWD, but Quattro > RWD. At that price you can get a very nice A3 3.2Q and probably have some change to boot! And I think the rear end of the 1 is fugly. [:'(] The A3 is a much more aesthetically pleasing car.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 AM

The Bimmer would definitely be one hot tuner car, and I was considering it for purchase, but not in the mid-$40k's. I agree that figure is way out of range, but the sad thing is that they'll probably sell like crazy. At that price, I'd purchase the 335i.

Cheers!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

If that 1 series came as a hatch with 300hp and torque to match i would purchase that in a heart beat.
Our cars only come with 200 something hp we have to get it chipped, add intake, add exhaust, add fuel pump, just to get it close to the 1 series stock, so if one wants to compare performance alone, this would not even be a close fight. More practicle of a car i choose ours over the bmw, because of the hatch, and being able to put the back seats all the way down.

I'll probably keep mine for one more year and get a jeep gc srt 8 or a slightly used porsche cayenne turbo s both are beasts, porsche edging the srt8 out in the handleing dept. , and the jeep beating the cayenne out in price.

Just a reminder boys if you want that dream high performance car or truck, you better get it now because those d!ck heads up in opec aren't going to increase oil production nor are they going to drop pricing of those barrels so its just gonna get worse.Just my opinion.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

That may be true but the estimated 8 billion barrels they found off the coast of brazil should help in a couple of years(at least i hope so).Here are my thoughts on why it might help 1) b/c that is a rediculous amount 2) b/c brazil is an ethanol country so they wont use as much of their own oil 3) shipping oil from brazil to us is going to be a lot cheaper than from the middle east

The downside is that it will take a while for drilling/shipping operations to get started and who knows it might not change anything

PS sorry to change the theme of thisthread I agree with gerneral consensus and say that the BMW 1 is not really a competitor of the A3

Old 11-29-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

Quoting Stryker
"If that 1 series came as a hatch with 300hp and torque to match i would purchase that in a heart beat.
Our cars only come with 200 something hp we have to get it chipped, add intake, add exhaust, add fuel pump, just to get it close to the 1 series stock, so if one wants to compare performance alone, this would not even be a close fight. More practicle of a car i choose ours over the bmw, because of the hatch, and being able to put the back seats all the way down".

Stryker, here in Taiwan I think BMW sells what you are looking for....the 130i. 3litre 300hp BEAST! I test drove it...it's simply crazy...just touch the pedal and you are blazing....breathtaking...amazing....wowowowowo! BUT...Taiwan...500km long island...and wall to wall traffic...it's like putting a greyhound in a cage...but what a ride for the open roads back home! The 130 is CRAZY sweet!! Oh, and at least in here in Taiwan (Where the A3 costs $45 000US !! Yes...I kid you not...TAXES on imports here, ouch!) But...the 130 is 60% more than the A3! NOT worth it, but spectacular!!

TPE A3

Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 AM
1st Gear

I am in complete agreement with the above... and don't see how they compare.

Comparing it to the TT on the other hand as they are both small sporty coupe's I could see!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Bmw 128i MSRP: $29,375.00 Horsepower: 230
A3 2.0T MSRP: $28,185.00 Horsepower: 200

Bmw 135i MSRP: $35,675.00 Horsepower: 300
A3 3.2TMSRP: $35,690.00 Horsepower: 250

Id Definatly say that it competes with the A3. I mean, the prices are pretty much even and you get more horses with the BMW (correct me if i am wrong not balancing weight statistics and stuff).

If I were to choose between getting an A3 or a 1 Series right now id be in a very tough position deciding but I have not driven a 1 series yet so I am not 100% sure what I would do.

The Car isnt out yet so the prices arent right on, but according to KBB this is what is estimated.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

In the US they are 2 different market segments. The A3 is stictly a 5-door sports wagon and the 135i is only a sports coupe. I've priced and tested both. The A3 (3.2) is a fabulous car - the perfect mix of practicality, luxury, value and performance. Unfortunately, it doesn't get your blood flowing the way the 300hp 135i does. It's nowhere near as practical, is a bit pricier, but the fun factor is on another level altogether. Like one review said, the 135i is "more fun than a caffinated circus monkey". Instead of the A3, I've found a better comparison between the A5 and the 135i. In this case the A5 is a bit pricier and slower, but still more practical (quattro) and better looking.
If you need a small wagon though, lookno further than the A3 3.2.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

Wow...old topics have come back...and I've been car shopping again!

As for some of the comments above.

The hatch versions of the car are comparable. (A3 vs 120i/d) The hatch version of the 130i is NOT comparable. Blows away anything on an A3 in terms of performance. (And priced accordingly!)

I don't agree that the 1-series is a competitor to the TT. The styling on the 1-series is pretty sedate (well, ugly in my opinion, but that is subjective!) The TT is a roadster, the 1-series is predominantly a hatch (and the sedan...ouch...I can't get used to it!)

As for the 1-series being competitive with the A5...no way no how! Just a really really different category of car and prospective market. In my view, the A5 is more comparable to the BMW 335ix (AWD) or even the 338 to the S5. (Both full-size coupes)

Right now I'm in the early stages of shopping for a new car...still love my A3...but I have a wandering heart...and it keeps wandering to the A5. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that car. Right now, Taiwan only has 6 ,and none in the colours I want or I would have bought one. Audi is also taking over the distribution of cars here, so I may have to wait till 2009 till I can get my hands on an A5. But after sitting in both the BMW and the A5, the A5 interior makes the BMW look like a Hyundai. I was REALLY surprised by how lacklustre the BMW seemed after the A5.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 AM
L7
1st Gear

I drove a BMW just before I got my A3. I was very close to getting a 330i - the clincher was the Audi interior. In my opinion - the higher price of the BMW should at least get you an equivalent interior to the Audi. I know people have said that you are paying for performance when you get a BMW. But, when you are stuck on the beltway in stop 'n go traffic - is the extra money worth the performance?

Quick Reply: Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?