Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Brakes

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and Audi owner. I just got a 2006 A3 2.0. I really love this car and how it drives and handles. Only one issue that I am having is that the brakes are a little loose, and it seems like I have to apply more pressure than normal to slow the car. I drove an A4 and the brakes were not like this. Also, when I get out to work in the morning, when I first reverse out, the brakes make a hiss noise, like a light grind. Can that be moisture? I am taking it into the shop today and just wanted to see what you all think.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brakes

If your car's brand spankin new, your stopping power will improve as the pads bed in. However, A3 brakes suck from the git go, and they won't get much better.Yours sound normal- I don't know what the Audi product guyswere thinking. Here's what I did to mine when the car was a month old;

Carbotech bobcat front pads
Tyrolsport solid front slider bushings
A good bleeding

This will improve the feel of your brakes substantially for about $250; shorter travel, more solid pedal, better feel, much less dust- good enough for street use. If you need more improvement, you'll be spending a lot of money for a BBK.
I guess you could also try stainless lines, but I haven't had much luck with them in the past.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Actually it wasn't brand new -I got it with about 8k miles. But on a brand new rig, how do they compare with the A4?

Old 02-15-2007, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

I haven't driven a new one with the 2.0, but the older A4 with a 1.8 had better feeling brakes than my A3. Bad feeling brakes, to me, are the only real flawon an A3.
Have them checked, though. Several guys have reported imrovement with just bleeding.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Hi, have 72,000 on mine and at about 40,000 noticed I had no brakes when the car was cold and sat for about 8 hours. The vacuum hose was loose...that could be the source of the noise. Have the dealer check. Other than that have great pedal!
Good luck!

Sloomer
2006 A3 2.0 Premium open sky, Murono Green

Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 AM

speaking of brakes, i only have 2300 miles on my a3 and my brakes began to squeak...started after our first snow storm here if that helps...any ideas??

i just hate pulling up to a red light with screechy brakes...i try so hard to not press them all the way...

help!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:02 AM

Skye,

You probably just have some dirt, etc. on your pads and rotors causing noise. Although, I'm not happy with the performance of the stock brakes. I'm thinking about S/S lines and new pads for a start. Should be a huge aid without too much money.

Cheers!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:35 AM

yeah hopefully it's just something stuck in there...we'll be jacking the a3 up this weekend to see what's goin on...

Old 03-02-2007, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: OpenSkye

yeah hopefully it's just something stuck in there...we'll be jacking the a3 up this weekend to see what's goin on...
really val? you've been experiencing that? hopefully it's no biggie, but if anything, it's still under warranty! hehe i just reached 5300 on mine today. and i got yours a month earlier. lol you're catchin up!

Quick Reply: Brakes