Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

CAI intake disapointment

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Default CAI intake disapointment

So i bought the newspeed CAI....
I put it on with the hopes that it would increase performance...
BUT the only thing i've noticed is decreased torque and decreased mileage... about .2-.3 mpg less ( i think its down b/c i have to rev it more to get off the line)

Is this normal?
Wheredo the performance gains comein?
Cuz right now i think i just spent $200 to decrease performance & mileage...

-Eric

Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: CAI intake disapointment

The only thing that I find CAI increases is sound. It adds as much HP as a BOV.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:21 PM

then what's all this hype about "HUGE difference" i hear with the evoms intake... cuz the evoms and the neuspeed are basically the same.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
SoCal Crew Member

make sure all your hoses and screws are tight........

try dynoing it with and without the CAI to see the diffy

Old 06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

most CAI's on most cars, even when they develop power its usually in the upper end of the RPM range. 5-10hp gains aren't uncommon, but you will likey never feel it. At 6000rpm a 10hp boost is only a few ft-lbs of torque, and since torque is what you 'feel' in the car, you'll likely never notice the CAI. Its also common for a CAI to lose a few ft-lbs and hp at low rpm's, though also its usually a negligable amount. The BIG difference you will notice and i'm sure you have is the sound.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: witt

then what's all this hype about "HUGE difference" i hear with the evoms intake... cuz the evoms and the neuspeed are basically the same.
Don't buy into the hype, you are not the only one who has no performance gain:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3280682

Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 PM

so a quick question....
Will i notice any improved mileage on the hwy then? i have a 2500mile roadtrip next week.....
will the stock intake give me better mileage?
if so.... i'll just put it back on....
Since the rpm's are at 3+k?

Also.. with the CAI... ive noticed the HP & torque curve are more linear.... whereas the stock one really pulled hard @ 3k, this one pulls more slowly at low rpm and it progressively gets more power until about 6k.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

for mileage i think it will depend more on you much you put your foot into the gas. Without having dyno's to see whats acually going on though its really just a big guess as to when you gain or lose power and what would give you better mileage.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Do you understand how a CAI work? In order for a CAI to gain any HP, it must be sucking air from a position that is cooler than it's current location. AEM makes CAI for other cars so that they suck air from a lower position, and even that, you are not going to see any huge gain. Since the Neuspeed is basically located where the stock box is, your gain is going to be minimal. Perhaps a less restricted air flow with less heat soak, but that's about it.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:59 PM

Yes i understand how it works.I was under the impression that the stock airbox was very restrictive. Yes i know that we have turbo's that give a positive pressure to the engine, but i also thought that a less restrictive intake would allow the turbo to spool up faster and not work as hard, giving more instaneous power.
Idont see why/how i could havelost torque.....

Quick Reply: CAI intake disapointment