Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

CAI in the snow??

Old 01-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Default CAI in the snow??

Just got my '07 A3 chipped today at ECS Tuning. I got the APR stock, 93 and security lockout programs. I can definitely feel an increase in torque already, however, I can't wait for it to stop raining here in Ohio so I can really let loose. I'm thinking that my next upgrade will be the Neuspeed CAI kit that reaches the bottom of the engine bay. However, I remember hearing back in my Honda Tuning days that some of those CAIs can suck in snow and rain? Has anyone ever had this problem or can attest to it being true or false?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: CAI in the snow??

Lots of the cold air intakes have a water restriction valve, stops the water from coming in, if you dont have one, u risk sucking water in your motor

Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 AM

Great. Thanks Tommy

Old 01-16-2007, 03:04 AM
1st Gear

No problem, if your looking for it somewhere, i think its technical term is "water bypass valve" or "water diverter valve", i cant remember off top.

Good Luck

Old 01-16-2007, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

True.
I 'hydrolocked' an Acura Integra sucking water thru the CAI into the engine. Had to pull the plugs then crank the engine over to drain the water from the block. Surprisingly I didn't warp the heads or crack the block. The car ran for another 100+k after that.
Anyway, bottom line, if you're going to go for the CAI extension, deff get the bypass valve. Or better yet, save your $$ and just get a std CAI.
BTW, I see you're in Gahana. I'm out past Marysville...Maybe we'll see ya around...

Old 01-16-2007, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

i got the Neuspeed CAI, and had the car APR chipped too.. so water can get into the CAI?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't worry too much about water if you applied just the CAI, where the cone filteris positioned in the engine compartment. My point was that if you added the extender, which then puts thefilter closer to the groundbehind the fog light, then I think the potential of sucking up water is very real. That was the situation with my Integra.
If you do go with the extender,as Tommy pointed out,a water bypass should be added to eliminate any concerns of sucking up water.
BTW, those bypass systems weren't available when I hadmy Integra or I would have had one...

Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 AM

A3Guy,

That's quite a horror story and makes me think twice about getting that CAI extension with or without the bypass valve. Also, it's good to hear that you're local maybe I'll see you on the road sometime. Have you found any mod friendly dealerships in the area? I bought my A3 at Byers in and according to the sales guy their garage is pretty lenient but hell he was trying to sell me a car.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

Good News!!!
Neuspeed actually suggests this for the CAI if you use the system that goes behind the fog lights near the ground. The suggest buying 2 air filters and during the winter and wet months to just leave the one that is in, in place but the undue the conection and add the other filter on by doing this you keep the CAI ability but keep it higher in the engine bay for protection.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:25 AM

Sweet! Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI in the snow??