Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

can 2 bikes fit in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Default can 2 bikes fit in the trunk?

Hi, all,

Considering A3, just wondering can I fit two mountain bikes (front wheels removed) in the cargo area. I've tape measured, it's about 60 in. from the gate to the front seats. So it looks possible. Any one tried this?

BTW, plan to test drive tomrrow, should get a stick, but how you think about DSG. Wife can drive stick but having trouble reaching clutch pedal in past European cars (audi, saab, bmw), I heard the clutch on this one is light.

Thanks
Ed

Old 06-30-2007, 08:23 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: can 2 bikes fit in the trunk?

I'm not going to say it's impossible,but i will say it will be a tight fit. I throw my road bike back there. Have you thought about investing in a bike rack?

Old 06-30-2007, 08:54 AM

Had all types of bike carriers. I want to be able to throw the bikes in for a change.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

They will fit if stacked. You would need a blanket between them to avoid damage. I have transported two two Sevens (road and cyclocross)this way for short distances.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:03 PM

thanks, on my way for test drive.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

One method I saw for carrying bicycles upright in a van, truck, or car is a simple 2x4 cut as wide as the cargo area. Into that wood, steel receivers are screwed that have a QR release very similar to the front hub. All one has to do is remove the front wheel, put the forks into the receivers, close the QR handle to safely lock the forks, and put the wheels in the car. The nice part is that the only thing added to the car is the piece of wood with the metal receivers and it just lifts out without tools to be stored in the corner of the garage. If I find a link to the manufacturer, I'll update this thread.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

havn't tried (yet), but I think it should fit..even 3 bikes if you use thick blankets between them to minimize damage. I did this(usually two, I think once three) in my 95 Integra hatchback and it definitly scratched up the car good, but I surived years without a hitch/bike rack. Need to pick up biking again and try with the A3

Old 07-05-2007, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

I can fit mine in, no problem. Putting another one on top would still leave plenty of room - as long as you find a way to minimize damage. Like a thick blanket, as already suggested.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:14 AM
1st Gear

If you order a car you can order it with roof rails. These are an awesome way to put a rack on the roof.

I got the chrome ones on mine. I also had a hitch installed on the back. Put a nice Thule rack back there for bikes. We are ready for a road trip on a moments notice.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Bikes on roof rack is a recipe for disaster. I can't count how many times I've read the "I forgot I have my bikes up there when pulling into my garage" on bikeforums.net.

However... I just have confirmation that 2 bikes fit in the car very comfortably, as I had to load mine and my friend's up, last weekend. With room to spare, too.

Quick Reply: can 2 bikes fit in the trunk?