Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Check-Valve failure - 06 20.T

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Check-Valve failure - 06 20.T

We've only had the car back for a couple of weeks after being in service for 2 weeks due to an A/C failure and now another issue. Dealer says that the crankcase check-valve failed, resulting in a loud squeeling noise coming from the engine.

Has anyone had this problem and also does anyone have any engine schematics for the 20.T? I would like to get a better understanding of this problem.

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Default RE: Check-Valve failure - 06 20.T

check valve is a crankcase breather for the engine which wouldn't cause a squealing noise more like the problem is a drive belt

Old 08-22-2007, 01:42 PM

My guess is that they fucked up the A/C install. On another forum, many have had this happen when their Zexel compressor blew. The only sure fix was them installing the ENTIRE A/C system and not just the compressor. If I'm correct, your A/C will be failing soon, but, go ahead and let them replace the PCV, because there is a better and newer part out now. Get the freebies while you can.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Avant: that's what I figured too, so I asked the tech why would it make noise, he said the design would have it act like a tea kettle when it failed. I didn't want to argue this since I haven't even seen the part. I figure I should first see some drawings...

When my wife called me about the problem, she held the phone to the engine bay and the squeel sounded like a slipping belt, but since she drove it right to the dealer (she was only a few miles away), I couldn't see for myself.

Chef: We actually did just have the entire A/C replaced! I really hope it doesn't go out again. On another forum, just commented that when ours failed, we showed the dealer a magazine article whose long term A3 test car had its A/C fail. The ended up replacing the entire system, then 500 miles later, it failed again. The second time, they only replaced the compressor. I seriously hope this doesn't happen...

When I heard the noise over the phone, I immediately thought that either a pulley had failed or a bolt had backed out from the repair job and was rubbing on the belt. The engine light was on though, so I figured the computer wasn't smart enough to sense drag on the belts, so it must have been something more severe.

My wife just picked up the car and she swears it is running a bit better now then it has for the past month or so, so maybe the new valve is better.

Fingers crossed, and thanks for the input.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Car is back with what seems to be the original belt - no signs of rubbing or abnormal wear. Here are the dealers comments listed on the invoice:

"Check engine light is on, checked for faults and found fault for systems too lean. checked for air leaks and found leak coming from upper part of engine. Removed engine cover and found that there was an internal leak. Leam coming from check valve for crankcase. Replaced crankcase check valve. Erased fault memories..."

Does anyone in the know think that this could be BS? Could the problem described cause a loud whistling noise while the engine is on?