Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

To CHIP or NOT to CHIP

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:40 PM
1st Gear
Default To CHIP or NOT to CHIP

So, over the weekend I noticed my back tires spinning after initial take off. This is not even me pushing the gas hard or anything.
Came to a complete stop a few times at some exits in my town, pushed the gas to accelarate and tires spun.
It was a nice quick rush but it definetly has me thinking now about NOT chipping my A3.

I mean, imagine if this thing was chipped? I would be peeling out constantly and that would be a bit of an annoyance.
And definetly will put wear and tear on my tires.

So after doing alot of research and other members complaining about the same thing and it happens often to there chipped cars, I am definetly hesitating on chipping.

Any of you fellas have this issue or have encountered this problem?

Old 11-28-2006, 06:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: To CHIP or NOT to CHIP

Yes, you will experience more wheel-spin if you chip.

However, if you have the Quattro version it should be able to handle it better.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

I wouldn't chip my car too if mine had the ability to spin the back tires.

Why dont you try a trial software from a CHIP provider? I'm sure once your experience the effects of chipping you wont go back.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

I'm assuming you have the Pirelli P6 tires and if so that may be one reason you're breaking traction so easy. Most A3 owners hate those tires and I begged the dealer for something different such an Continentals or Dunlops. Since my car is not here yet, I'm still not sure what I will get but I sure hope it is not the P6 also known as P Sux. New rubber would probably make a huge difference. I know that sucks because the car is new, but I haven't heard good things about these tires that are OEM.

I will chip, but I will wait until the car is fully broken in. I won't chip until after the first service or until 10K miles.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

Now do you have this problem all the time or was it just this past weekend after you washed it? Allot of tire care products will stick to the tire and force wheel spin until its all burnt off. I had it happen for over a week until it was worn off.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:57 PM
SoCal Crew Member

The "Quattro" version, having a NA 3.2 VR6, would not see nearly as much gains from a chip.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:08 PM
2nd Gear

You ment you spin the frt tires correct? If you chip and drive in the S mode you might spin the first couple of times on hard take offs, but on normal take offs you dont spin out, or peel out. You could also use the less agressive D mode for normal cruisin' and when that ricer pulls next to you you could slip her in S mode and burn some rubber. Other then that it is very easy to get used to the extra hp's and torque. CHIP IT!

Old 11-29-2006, 01:13 AM
1st Gear

It was my BACK tires that peeled out aggressively, not the fronts. And yes, it was after I washed it. That could be the reason, good thought!

Yep, got the PIRELLI P6's on mine. The thought of having PIRELLI tires on my A3 made it even more enticing when I was researching and shopping for my A3. I dont know why, but the thought of my car having Italian tires on it makes me love my car even more, haha.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:08 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: dcny7777

It was my BACK tires that peeled out aggressively, not the fronts.
I wonder how that is possible? To overcome the coefficient of rolling friction without a force does not make sense in a FWD car. A few questions should clear this confusion.

1) Are you 2.0T or 3.2?
2) Quattro or Fronttrack
3) Were you trying to peel out while taking a corner?

Old 11-29-2006, 02:13 AM

No offense, but unless you've done some major reworking of the drivetrain, then your car is FWD and those are the tires that will be spinning. My car will spin the tires in 1rst and 2nd gear under hard acceleration, but 3rd - 6th just has UMMMMPHHH! Chipping is more than just peeling off the start, it's the real world driving experience. Chip it, enjoy it, do whatever you want!

BTW, I have the Pirelli PZero Rosso's and I will be upgrading to the F1's when these wear out, in a larger size. Hopefully that helps put down more traction.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: To CHIP or NOT to CHIP