Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Cloth Seats?? Opinions please...

Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Default Cloth Seats?? Opinions please...

I'm about to buy an '07 (still new, 107 miles) and it's currently September 08. The dealer told me the dealership has recently come under new management and that's it's rare for a vehicle to not be sold for so long. Due to the fact that the '09 models are coming out he's knocking off 3200 from the 28000 list price (and I think I might be able to talk him down a bit more). This A3 has the open sky roof and everything else is base. It's silver with cloth interior, manual, 17 inch wheels etc.

I want to keep this car for many years to come (starting a family) and I'm concerned that I'm sacrificing too much and I'll end up trading up for something else because of the cloth and the silver color. I'd prefer black with leather. I've read that the cloth interior has poor support and the seats are just poor quality in general. Would members recommend passing up a great deal like this one due to the cloth? Look forward to your opinions. Best regards,

- theoldson

Old 09-06-2008, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

Personally I were buying an Audi, I would get it with leather seats. That's just me. Also leather seats will look good longer than cloth seats if maintained well. There is nothing worse than buying a car and then having second thoughts about it especially if you intend on keeping it for a long time.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Exclamation How often do you clean leather seats?

It is no different with the cloth's, I have mine cleaned twice a year. The benefit with leather is you can do it yourself (cloth's you can do yourself, but I'm lazy and like the job the detail shop does).

As far as comfort, I have no experience with leather seats, but I like the comfort of the cloth's. I do not see where the change in covering would affect comfort (base or premium seats).

Scott

Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

Personally I like leather. But its hard to pass up on a deal like that. Cloth does have its upsides. For one if you want to or need to replace the cover its a lot cheaper then the $700 price tag for 1 seat in leather. Also with a good scotchguard cloth can be better with kids and there toys and seats that just eat up leather. Silver/Black pros cons on both. Just think of the type of car your going to get with that price tag. Hard to pass up plus have the dealer throw in a complete protective plan in for the interior and the service plan and then take it. I have a feeling they will jump since every day for the past year that car sits they lose money.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

I have a 2006 that I bought with the open sky system, but everything else base and I have the manual transmission. Mine is black with tan cloth interior and it is holding up great. I'm 6'1" and 210lbs and the seats are in great shape. Have held up fine. No kids yet, but I have 3 dogs that I have transported many times. People that I take in the car love it. Holding up well.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

I had cloth seats on my A3, but they were the S-line style seats, just not with leather. Very comfortable and the cloth was fine.
HOWEVER....in my opinion...if you are trying to AVOID being tempted to buy another car in the short-term...my advice would be to buy the exact car you want. If you really want leather, it's going to drive you nuts even more down the line that your car does not have it.
I had a few things on my A3 that never felt quite right to me...even more minor than the seat materials. OEM HIDs for example. I kept my A3 (though I loved it!) for only 8 months before I sold it and got the TT. For my TT, I got EXACTLY all the options I wanted, in the colours I wanted, etc etc. I have had the car for just over 2 months, and I'm more in love with it everyday because it is the RIGHT car for ME.

Be careful by putting price too far ahead of the features you really want. Could end up costing you a lot more $ when you take the depreciation it if you unload the car.

Also, upgrading the cloth seats to leather won't make much sense if they are the base seats. If they are S-line just without leather, get the car, and then re-do the seats in leather if you still feel the need to rub a dead cow!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

IMHO, $3,200 won't cut it. You've got to treat it like a used car (basically that's what it is at this point). The second you drive it off the lot, it's a 2 year old used car. KBB private party is $23,400 for an '07 with no miles. And will they offer you any special financing, or are you on your own, as Audi naturally won't have any programs on an '07. You may be able to find a dealer dumping the '08's plus offering better financing than your dealer can offer you on an '07 that isn't optioned the way you want it. You'll hopefully have the car a long time, so decide what's most important for you.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Kids (potential) + cloth = danger. There is something to be said for a quick wipe to clean a food/drink/vomit stain vs. the products / time needed to removal stains from cloth. If you really wanted cloth, it would be different - but you don't even want it.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM

I think it is a good deal. The A3 is a very good car, and despite the fact that is old-ish, it is still a brand new car. If I were in you position, I would haggle with price as much as possible, but still buy it.

Also, in some situations leather may not be the best option: How is the weather where you live? I have a Black Leather w. Dolphin Gray paint here in FL, and let me tell you, in the heat, my butt gets cooked all the way through after having left the car out.

I understand that you may want leather, but honestly, I think it would be silly to pass up a good deal.

Good Luck

Old 09-12-2008, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by yankees25
IMHO, $3,200 won't cut it. You've got to treat it like a used car (basically that's what it is at this point). The second you drive it off the lot, it's a 2 year old used car. KBB private party is $23,400 for an '07 with no miles. And will they offer you any special financing, or are you on your own, as Audi naturally won't have any programs on an '07. You may be able to find a dealer dumping the '08's plus offering better financing than your dealer can offer you on an '07 that isn't optioned the way you want it. You'll hopefully have the car a long time, so decide what's most important for you.
This should be seriously considered by you before you drive off with that car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cloth Seats?? Opinions please...