Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Cold Weather affecting Milage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Cold Weather affecting Milage?

Just wanted to know if anyone else is affected by a cold weather MPG difference.
My 2006A3 2.0, Just noticing before in the summer months, after a fill up, My trip comp would give me around 690 km's reading for travel distance available. Obviously this is me hopping immediatley on the highway and at maximum potential for MPG.
Now however, since its damn cold up here (-15 in toronto on average) After a fill up, my comp specs out only around 390-400kms available.

Anyone else experienceing this?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Default RE: Cold Weather affecting Milage?

If anything, you should be getting better mileage in the cold weather. The turbo is pushing denser air which should increase the efficiency of the engine and give you better mileage. That is, if you can keep your foot out of the increased power. If your mileage is dropping that dramatically, then something else is up. A little fluctuation is one thing, but a 40% drop is a problem.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:33 PM

if you use the heating/ head lights/ AC/radio/ rear windowdefoggermore then you will use more fuel because your pushing the engine more ( car electrics take their toll ) which is normal in the winter but turbo does give better result in nice cold weather at a cost

Old 02-02-2007, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks,

Just had the dealer service at 25k, they told me they checked the computer, hooked it up and there wasn't an issue.

But i figured the cold was a factor. Perhaps the use of the heated seats on full, heated mirrors on, defrost on, and a bunch of other things might affect it.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

Its affected my mpg too. But I just figured it was because I let my car sit and idle in the mornings so it's nice and comfy when I get in to drive off to hel....uh, work

Old 02-05-2007, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

Have you calculated your actual mileage regardless of what the trip comp indicates?

Old 02-05-2007, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

I think I am close to averageing the regualr MPG, Just the trip comp shows it cutting almost 45%,

I assume that AUDI has had similar other than just the A3, becasue the dealer checked my computer and said nothing was wrong. But when you see 390kms on a full tank, compared to 690kms, You immediatley think the worst...

Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

When it is cold here (this morning it was 9*F) my display goes a little wacky with multiple messages overlaying one another until it warms a bit.Even with the crazy displays, my miles to go number doesn't seem to be affected but maybe the cold has something to do with your issue. Has anyone else experienced display abnomalities when it is cold?

Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 AM
1st Gear

Yes, that is normal for temperatures that are really cold. Even if your car temp says 9°, the Real Feel is probably less. Regardless, temperature affects electric current. My iPod is affected by the temperature too.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:52 AM
1st Gear

I don't see too many A3's anwhere I go on the East Coast or the Midwest, and definitely no Freens or Reds. I have seen Black (a few) white (one), Blue (two), and Silver (one). I did check out the Murano Green at the dealer and it was the first green car I liked since seeing Steve McQueen's Mustang. Really nice look. I never see any reds either, which is what I'm driving.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather affecting Milage?