Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

considering 2006 A3 2.0T, anything else I should look at?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 PM
1st Gear
Default considering 2006 A3 2.0T, anything else I should look at?

I am brand new to these boards and am ready to leave the low-end import tuner world and get into something a bit nicer and more mature.

I currently drive an 02 Nissan Spec V, which was a lot of fun to drive, but now that I am in my mid 30's and have a toddler, I want something more comfortable, safer, and nicer.

I am not opposed to buying used, in fact the A3 I am looking at is a lease return.

I need something that can seat 4 adults, preferably 5 if need be (since the car seat is as big as any adult) but is still fun to drive.

I've considered the following used cars: IS300, G35, Volvo S60

I really like the small wagon A3 but do any of you owners w/small children find them big enough for 2 car seats? The wife was dropping hints last night that she wants a 2nd child.

I am currently in San Diego, but will be relocating to Colorado Springs w/in 2-3 months.

I did search for similar threads, as I am sure a similar question has been asked before, but I really only saw comparisons to the WRX, something I am not considering.

I just want a nice car that goes fairly quick and can handle a family of 4.

thanks in advance.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:57 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: considering 2006 A3 2.0T, anything else I should look at?

Acura TSX (reliable but underpowered), Saab 9-3 2.0T (exterior looks great, interior looks weird), Volvo S40 T5 (solid chassis), BMW 325 (handles great but also underpowered)

I am 5'-10" and 180lbs, and I don't fit comfortably in any of the back seats of my A3 when the front two seats are adjusted to accomodate me. If the back seats are just for car seats or children that's not a problem.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

I think I'll take a look at that TSX tomorrow, and take the A3 out for a spin while I am out looking.

I wasn't impressed w/the Saab and I really don't like the new BMWs. Thanks for listing those though. I don't want to sound like I am slapping your hand for mentioning them.

I'll probably stop by and check out the Volvos again. The S60 may provide a little more room than the S40. My wife has a V70, and I am NOT impressed w/the legroom or shoulder room for that matter.

Thank you!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:06 AM
2nd Gear

Test drive the A3. If you want to know what your A3 could be like, you can ride in mine . I was looking at the TSX and was sold on the A3 the moment I drove it. So much technology for a very very good price. Too bad you posted late... I'm sure you woudl've enjoyed our little outing we had in Palomar today.

As far as a wagon for childen... it'll be a good economical choice. The rear hatch has loads of space. I packed food, tents, camping gear, etc for a 1 week trip to sequoia and yosemite for 4 adults... so it'll fit your your accessories for your small bundles of joy easily.

PLUS, the car is fun... chip it and you'll forget its a wagon carrying baby holder.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

I take it you are in SD? What part? I have tomorrow off and will be going to dealerships in the afternoon. I play the $14 No limit tournament at Viejas in the morning, but after that I have no plans.

If you were serious about me taking a ride w/you, tomorrow would be perfect!

Old 08-18-2006, 02:51 AM
2nd Gear

Sorry, I'm in Irvine. If your serious about buying an Audi, goto audi of mission viejo... great deals are given there.

If you still want a ride let me know... be more than happy to make sure you get an audi. That way we'll have more A3's in our monthly socal GTGs

Old 08-18-2006, 03:44 AM
1st Gear

For a little while anyway! I am probably moving to Colorado Springs for work in a month or two.

I go up to San Clemente quite often to see the in-laws. maybe we could arrange something when I go up there.

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:08 AM

Good luck on the hunt.

I have 3 children, two of which are in car seats, and my 8 year old boy fits in the seat between them. It wouldn't be the most comfortable for the 5 of us to take a long road trip, but the kids never complain when we take my car around town. In fact, they often prefer my car because they say it's a lot more fun and really fast. You'll definitely not have a problem with two car seats in the A3. I do suggest making to a GTG with us at some point though before you move to the Springs. You'll be able to see a lot of different A3's here with a variety of cosmetic and performance mods which may also sell you on our cars. The A3 with a chip is a totally different car than a stock A3 and the difference is only a few hundred bucks.

BTW, I grew up in Colorado Springs. What sends you that direction?

Cheers!

Old 08-19-2006, 02:53 AM
1st Gear

Work!

I was all set to transfer to San Antonio, but it was going to be a while. I work for a defense contractor, contracted to the government in the area of
national defense, not someone who builds defensively.

Anyway, I was getting impatient waiting on word in SA, so I looked at the available jobs and I found one I'd be a great fit for in CS. So, I told my boss about it
and he got really excited. It turns out that the job was his listing, just under a different groups code.

Bad news about the A3. I wont be getting one. I probably will be getting an 03 A6 2.8T. Nice car! big enough for the family, and big enough to please the wife. The only neg to the car is that it is old man gold. But, I am not out to race anyone!

I appreciate all of your input!

Old 08-20-2006, 12:40 AM

Good luck in the Springs. Oddly enough, my wife is in the military and retires in 2 years. We will be heading to the San Antonio area then. Both places are very nice, different, but very nice.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: considering 2006 A3 2.0T, anything else I should look at?