Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Considering A3 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Considering A3 Purchase

Hello All,

1.)How does the A3's cargo space compare withthe 4-door GTI's cargo space with the: [ul][*]rear seat up?[*]rear seat folded? [/ul]2.) How does the A3's reliability compare with the GTI's?

3.) How does Audi dealer service compare with VW dealer service?

4.) Has Audi improved the active head restraints (AHR) for 2008 from an IIHS rating of "acceptable" to "good"?

5.) A limited-slip differential (LSD) is optional on the Mini Cooper S and standard on the Honda Civic Si, Mazdaspeed3, & Subaru WRX. Will a LSD be available for the 2008 / 2009 A3?

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Considering A3 Purchase

1) Don't know for sure. The GTI's hatch is closer to a 90 degree angle, so you may gain a little bit of vertical space. The difference is going to be minimal. Are you referring to the 2 door or 4 door GTI?

2) Reliability should be the same. Same drivetrain, same chassis. FWIW, the A3 is built in Germany, most VWs (GTI included, correct me if I'm wrong) are built in Mexico.

3) My experience at the Audi dealer was excellent. Never had to deal with a VW service department aside from buying parts, but keep in mind Audi is catering to a more upscale, demanding customer base.

4) Doubtful. There is a post on here from a member who just received an '08. Perhaps you could request some info/pics.

5) There is no LSD option on the current gen A3, 2008 included. It can be added aftermarket, but it'll run about $3k after labor. The new generation A3 should be out in '09 or '10, but there is virtually no info out about it yet.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

1.) 4-door (original post updated)

3.) Per Edmunds, GTI = Germany also.

2.) Good to read you're pleased with your dealer. How long have you had your A3?

4.) A4 = IIHS rating of good. Shouldn't Audi want to earn a "TOP SAFETY PICK" for the A3 also?

5.) Will an aftermarket LSD affect the Audi warranty?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-21-2007, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

The new Jettas are assembled in Mexico...and reliability seems to be pretty meh. As for dealerships, I think it all comes down to who you deal with and how the place is managed. The dealership I bought from is mostly VW and it was pleasant overall. There are also localVW and Audi sales departments I wouldn't touch.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:20 PM

5) Yes it will, if they know about it. BTW, I think you can get the whole thing done for just under $2k.

Cheers!

I don't quite understand the line of questioning though? Both cars are somewhat similar, but yet both different and unique. Just drive each of them and see what you like best.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:43 PM

The answers to 1, 2, 4, and 5 can be found on the interweb.

A reliable answer to #3 requires a lot of data, and I doubt anyone has collected it. The best you can hope for, instead, is n of 1 subjective opinions.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef
I don't quite understand the line of questioning though?
I'm considering the purchase of an A3 versus other competing models:

1.) I'm curious how much additional cargo space the A3 "Sportback" provides over the GTI hatchback. So far, I have not found any comparative cargo capacity data.
Note: The GTI does not have the additional window after the rear door & above the rear wheel as is found on the A3. Also, it appears there is very little overhang behind the rear axle on the GTI as compared to the A3.

2.) & 3.) Since the A3 is more expensive, does it provide a better ownership experience?

4.) I wish the A3 was rated as well as the A4 for whiplash protection by the IIHS.

5.) For as much as the A3 costs, I wish it offered a LSD like these other models.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Personally, I've found the ownership experience with my Audi to be much better than the experience with the last 3 VW's I've owned, combined.

If you look through this site, you'll see several very bad wrecks with the A3, and everyone had the occupants walk away without any significant injuries. I feel that this car is every bit as safe as the A4. If you're just concerned with the insurance savings, then the "wagon" category should make up any difference in savings.

I too wish that my A3 had a LSD, but that and Quattro seem to be things Audi NA doesn't feel that we deserve with the 2.0T. Still, in comparing the A3 to those other models, the A3 wins hands down in every other category, IMO.

Cheers!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

I asked about the performance of the A3 active head restraints (AHR) because we live in a major metropolitan area where there are a large number of impatient, distracted (cell, text msg, iPhone, etc.), careless (insufficient following distance), rude, and aggressive drivers on the roads. One family member has been rear-ended and had to suffer with whiplash 3 times! Less fortunate drivers have encountered "road rage" ending in fatalities.

A front-wheel drive A3 wagon with a limited-slip differential with 4 summer tires and 4 snow tires added to the standard electronic stability control would be wonderful. This combination would provide the maximum possible traction & skid control without the fuel economy penalty and added weight of AWD all year long when the snow season for many folks is only 1 to 3 months a year depending on location and yearly variation.

Now if Audi NA would just pay attention to the needs of US wagon customers .........

[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-21-2007, 05:33 PM

I agree, and live in a similar environment, except for the snow. I think the normal FWD with good snow tires would still work well.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Considering A3 Purchase