Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Continental -> Pirelli = SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Continental -> Pirelli = SUCK

Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone else had this experience?

I went from Continental sportcontact 2 -> Pirelli P6

result is that now my steering is super loose and my traction is crap now.

I've read that the tires sucked, but has anyone else had this problem? Especially annoying is the loose steering (feels like overpowering power steering)

Thanks

Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Continental -> Pirelli = SUCK

I've disliked the P6s since they've had 5K miles on them. They're incredibly noisey and useless in snow. I replaced them with Blizzaks for winter and Continentals for summer. - Scott, TBurg

Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

I have had both on my A3, and the difference is night and day. P6 is possibly one of the worst "Brand name" tires out there. Why would you go from SC2 to P6? I went from P6, to SC2, to PZero to Mich PS2.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 PM
1st Gear

eltonsi,

Your tire knowledge again comes to the fore! I'm convinced on my rims thanks to your posts on the other thread. So, do you have Michelin PS2s now? Happy with them? I need a summer tire, no snow at all here. My car came with Pirelli and I haven't noticed anything untoward about them, but of course, I have nothing from which to compare.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Go bridgestone or bf Goodrich or sumitomo. OK a little tire knowledge. WE all (should) know that Porsche only allows certain tires to be allowed on there vehicles. Well, they have given the thumbs up on using sumitomo's as an alternative tire. There are about 5 different styles and none of them are for snow, all high performance. I had a set on my VR6 jetta and I loved them great wet and dry handling. They are also what my Uncle told my mother to put on her Boxter S. oh My uncle spent 8 years as the drive instructor for the California Porsche Club and has 80% of there records. So that's a brag and credental.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:28 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TPE_A3

eltonsi,

Your tire knowledge again comes to the fore! I'm convinced on my rims thanks to your posts on the other thread. So, do you have Michelin PS2s now? Happy with them? I need a summer tire, no snow at all here. My car came with Pirelli and I haven't noticed anything untoward about them, but of course, I have nothing from which to compare.
Can't say I have that much "knowledge" on tires. But the P6 does suck. I have PS2 for Summer (PZero Nero for winter/all season), and had PZero Rosso before. I tracked with them, and they are both great. Tread life on Rosso was poor, but they are summer tires. PS2 is one of those, "you can't go wrong" with tires. Some say they are over priced, some say they are not worth the money, but no one will seriously say the PS2s are bad tires. Ride quality and road noise, I prefer the PS2 over PZero. They are pricey, but definitely up there with the best of them. Heard good things from the Goodyear F1, Conti SC2 or 3, the Bridgestone top tier series (can never remember their numbers). In the slightly cheaper range, there is the Dunlop Direzza which I tracked with a G35C and they are nice for the price.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

The only reason i went from SC2 to P6 is cuz i got a flat and my car was at the dealer, they cut me a deal (2 P6 for 230$ installed) so i went for it.

Now i severely regret it.

I think the tread on the SC2 enhances the steering on the A3 at lower speeds. Before when reading all of the reviews and complaints bout power steering, I used to be puzzled. Now, I understand what all of the magazines and people are talking about when they say the power steering is too sensitive at low speeds. With the SC2, even at low speeds my steering was stiff and tight.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 PM

well &$%#... blew out right-rear P6 sidewall on the highway going 40 mph in a blizzard in chicago...go figure. I look in the trunk and the adapter to get the fake lug covers off is missing (or rather was never there). I'm about a half mile from the dealer but there isn't anyone there because they all went home early because of the blizzard. I call Audi roadside and they quote me an hour & half. Cop shows up and tells me he can get a truck there in 10 minutes. So truck shows up and knocks the lug covers right off with the impact driver, costs $75 which I'll be sending straight to Audi roadside for reimbursement.

Anyway, so I have 14k miles, should I just go ahead and replace the P6? or do you guys recommend something else for winter? Also I have the Z rated P6... would I need to put another Z rated p6 or can I go cheap and put the H rated P6 on until summer when I'll probably buy new tires all around?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

i had conti's on my old A4 which i no longer have and my A3 came with the pirelli's....they are fricken loud with 600 miles only and the wet traction is really not that great...thank got i have quattro. When i replace them i will get bridgestone or Michelins for sure.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 AM
1st Gear

HI GUYS

I WONT SAY THAT PIREELI IS GOOD BUT ZERO NERO IS ALOT BETTER THEN SPORT CONTACT 2,IM A TIRE DEALER SINCE 10 YEARS NOW,THE THING THAT I CAN SAY RIGHT NOW IS THAT THE PIERLLI IS DESIGN FOR AN GRAND MA GOING GROCERY SHOPPING,,,LOL,TRY OUT BRIDGTONE 050PP YOU WILL LIKE IT

THAT WHAT IM RUNNING NOW FOR SUMMER,AND BLIZZAK LM25 WINTER

HAVE A GOOD DAY GUYS

PROBABLY THAT I CANT HELP YOU OUT WITH YOUR TIRES GUYS,LET ME KNOW

ALEX

Quick Reply: Continental -> Pirelli = SUCK