Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

cricket sound

Old 02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Default cricket sound

just got myself a 2008 Audi A3, silver, automatic, prem package, open sky, bluetooth, ipod. LOVE IT!

noticed yesterday there was a slight, super subtle "cricket" chirp/squeak sound when driving my car. had to turn down the radio volume a couple times to make sure i was hearing it.

anyone familiar with this sound? it comes at intervals. not sure if i am just imagining things... [&:]

any helpful tips for a newbie Audi owner?

thanks!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: cricket sound

Hi, and congrats on the purchase. Is the noise, continuous, intermittent, dependent on speed or condition of road? audis should be silent.

But also, I ask because just yesterday my year-old 3.2 developed a high-pitched buzz/cricket sound when driving slow thru my neighborhood. It's somewhere on the passenger side, but so far have not located it. Seems to be from either door or B-pillar, but not a common culprit such as seat belt tensioners, glove box, Open Sky or door seals. [:@]

Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Search the forums for the infamous "fuel line rattle"

I thought I had the fuel line rattle too, but it ended up being a loose heat shield somewhere.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:49 PM

drumdork-But also, I ask because just yesterday my year-old 3.2 developed a high-pitched buzz/cricket sound when driving slow thru my neighborhood. It's somewhere on the passenger side, but so far have not located it.

this is also when/where i heard it too! I would say it was somewhat intermittent. i REALLY hope this is nothing and it will go away-- esp since the car is brand spankin' new.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

I have a similar soundtoo. Not sure if it's a cricket for me, maybe just a dull rhythmicclicking noise. For me, it seems to be coming from the passenger side, somewhere in the hatch area. It's intermittent, but I notice it when I come to a stop ata light and turn the volume down.

The fuel line rattle would be coming from the front. Correct?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Fuel line rattle is more constant and rhythmic. I don't have that noise, but I've heard it. This is one of of those intermittent, dealership will say "cannot replicate problem" type of high pitched buzzing that's like an icepick thru my right ear.

The rhythmic dull clicking from the rear is the priming of the fuel pump. I hear it when the car's cold or been sitting somewhere for a long time....completely norrmal.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Day 2 of annoying chirp/buzz/rattle thingy. Not coming from center console for sure, and unable to find it by pressing against trim panels. Very annoying. At least your car is new and that type of thing will be taken care of with no resistance (unless they cannot replicate, haha). Good luck, and let me know if you or your dealer find out what it is!

Old 02-15-2008, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

I've got a 07 a3 2.0 dsg with the same or similar sound, took it to the dealer and as near as they can figure it is a series of relay noises coming from the relay panel lolcated in the rh rear corner in a area just above the tire and strut. Check to see if when you hear it if it sounds at first like just a couple of clicks and stedaly progresses to a rapid succesion of clicks[ that might sound like a cricket] until it stops. You might notice that it will do this regardless of temp outside or other normal conditions. according to audi these relys are part of the fuel system and " it is normal [bull] ". Hope this helps shed some light on this, if I get more info I will share same.

Just a little sidenote here I'm finally up to the executive branch in regard to the brake noise and the problem with the radio distorting and cutting out a only a volume of 20 on the dial or abuot 65%. Also if your pirellies are making to much noise check for an improper alignment issue that will present itself with a accellerated wear on the inside portion of the tire. If you are rotating on schedule this will be just about even front to back, in fact its like driving on razor blades to the inside tread and will ruin your tires quickly.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Possible sources for cricket noise:

Glovebox door - shim as necessary, silicone bumpers or foam tape.

Open sky - at the front , there's a kinda tray/recess that the pop up windstop folds into. Shim this a bit with foam tape. Open sky noises will often seem to come from the dash or center console - so don't be too skeptical on this.

Armrest -lube pivot

Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

OK so I'm wrong so far...it might be my center console afterall, but not sure. The sound reverberates EVERYWHERE in the front seat area. My sound is a constant high pitched, buzzing...sort of like a fly against glass or a tiny washer vibrating against something else. It's coming from either the passenger door, b-pillar (though doesn't seem to be the seat belt mechanism), around the glove box (though opening/closing doesn't affect it) or somewhere behind the climate control/stereo area. It's only around when I'm driving slowly and/or on a rougher road.

So far every noise that has popped up has gone away by itself, but this one seems here to stay and it's bugging the pi$$ outta me. Anyone have any similar experiences or have any suggestions for locating it? I take my car for service in 600 miles and I just know it's going to be one of those !#%%^* "cannot replicate" situations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cricket sound